Best bushcraft fact

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
No-one can practice everything, so we all need to call on the experience and insights of others - from this arises grounded ie useful theory.
However "theory" from doubtful/insufficient evidence is of course useless.

Pretty long discussion on the thread. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123230&page=3

Post 45 from a medic I think states they are not to be used.

Talked to our village nurse today who sometimes deals with gunshot wounds and she told me never push things into a gunshot wound.

amazing what you can learn on your favourite forum .... :D

i remember seing a documentary once about warfare in muzzleloader days and a great deal of soldiers actually died from infection afterwards as the musket balls pulled small pieces of clothing into the wound which then turned nasty... - so it makes sense not even to push something clean into a wound! i once - long time ago and NOT voluntarily!!!- spent some time in some sort of military, but all we got issued was a field dressing (the main focus of the 1st aid-training was on CPR: like most guys i killed the dummy and i never figured out how to do a CPR on myself (when there is nobody else around)....); i found myself more then once facing the wrong end of a fire arm thanks to CARELESS IDIOTS letting fly without bothering their location but fortunately (knocks on his head) have alweays been missed!

Grunde

Mar 12, 2015
Norway
So this thread is where you post the best bushcraft fact you know and by best I mean most obscure or your favourite bushcraft related fact/s. Not seen a thread like it so thought I'd start one ☺️

My favourite is probably the berries from a spindle tree when crushed make a workable nit lotion

Hi Dennydrewcook.

Great topic! Unfortunately, not a single useful tip in the whole thread so far...

But here's my best bushcraft tips:
Withies
Spruce chewing gum.
Sphagnum moss for loo paper

Best
Grunde

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
spruce chewing gum? sounds interesting could you tell me more?
Hi Dennydrewcook.

Great topic! Unfortunately, not a single useful tip in the whole thread so far...

But here's my best bushcraft tips:
Withies
Spruce chewing gum.
Sphagnum moss for loo paper

Best
Grunde

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Growing your beard does not release dormant internal genetic bushcraft skills, unfortunately

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Growing your beard does not release dormant internal genetic bushcraft skills, unfortunately

Having worn a beard from age 16 I have found that it actually acts as a Bushcraft skills collector ... that and food trap!

On the "comfort" side of things Foxglove leaves are "soft, strong and ...reasonably ... long" :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I agree there on it being a great collector of things, i keep expecting to find a birds nest in there but no luck yet.

Do foxglove leaves come in a quilted version?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Pretty long discussion on the thread. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123230&page=3

Post 45 from a medic I think states they are not to be used.

Talked to our village nurse today who sometimes deals with gunshot wounds and she told me never push things into a gunshot wound.

The British Army currently teaches to pack penetrating wounds with haemostatic gauze (Celox etc), but thats a very different environment where the immediate urgency is to arrest catastrophic bleeding, and an hour or so later the extraction of the gauze and the treatment of any secondary infection is someone else's problem....

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It is also great for washing your hands and blades and plates n stuff, i've used it many times after cleaning fish and game before cooking and i've never gotten sick

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
When one goes on a bushcraft overnighter with ones mates and forget your Crusader cup so you cant cook or drink......the mates will NEVER let you forget it!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I can relate, i took a tent once cycling and camping in Scotland in october a few years back, my tent was waterproof but it had one of those open tops that then has a little tent/tarp that goes over the top of that to aid ventilation but still keep out the rain, well that is as long as you remember to bring it, my friends (i use the term loosely) found it hilarious when they woke the next morning to see i had used my waterproof cycling jacket as a bodge job tarp to cover the gap after being woken by traditional Scottish october rainfall in the middle of the night, they never let it go and every time we were out cycling and they seen the jacket in it's proper use the jokes came flying

Grunde

Mar 12, 2015
Norway
Easy now, brother. This was my bad. I take back the part about no tips.
This was merely a momentary expression of frustration over the massive amounts of OT I had to plow through to find the interesting stuff.
Gr

Kind of scathing idictment there; did you read the same thread the rest of us did ? or did you just want bullet points and not conversation ?

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE