Best bushcraft fact

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
So this thread is where you post the best bushcraft fact you know and by best I mean most obscure or your favourite bushcraft related fact/s. Not seen a thread like it so thought I'd start one ☺️

My favourite is probably the berries from a spindle tree when crushed make a workable nit lotion

Your turn ? 😂😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haytor7

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2014
devon
This is my bush craft fact
There are 2.8 million hectares of woodland in the UK.
I can't find permission for any of it.
YET.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
last first aid course i did the trainer made the point that it is easier to die from being too hot than too cold.

I have suffered from mild hypothermia in the Northern Pennines - but came close to death from Hyperthermia in the Peak district. I had mild frostbite in the Cairngorms and severe sunburn in Cadiz (aged 13 the burns went deep enough to start scars I received at 4 bleeding again) and in Thailand I was hospitalised with hyperthermic issues, in Ghana several of the team suffered from dehydration and heat issues ... my personal experience backs your trainer to the hilt...
I much prefer cold climates as I am a better shape to survive in them (spheres retain heat best!) :)

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
"Law of 3"
3 seconds without thinking.
3 minutes without breathing.
3 hours without warmth.
3 days without water.
3 weeks without food.

but some people can speaking long time, without thinking ?

Last edited:
Ladies pads offer better blood soaking properties and adhesiveness (is that a word?) than gauze and bandage with tape...

So why don't they sell them in first aid supplies?? Don't they sell bandages and wound dressings in Bedfordshire? .
Perhaps you could explain why your British forces and our Canadian ones are supplied with bandages, wound dressing - do you know something they don't?

You English are a funny lot

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Bushcrafters should never be left unattended in a charity shop, they'll always buy something they think may be useful.. SWMBO

Anti-snoring strips can be used for wound closure.
The inner strands of paracord can be used as dental floss.
It's impossible to make feathersticks with an Opinel knife.

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
My comment refers to clothing. I live in a desert where the numbers easily reach over 100 F regularly in the warm months, with very low humidity. I can dress accordingly and adjust my hours of activity.

If I'm cold, and likely wet by now, it will be more difficult (not impossible, but more difficult) to get warm.

From personal experience, I stand by my comment.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A couple of my favourite facts

- The most dangerous part of anything we do, is the drive/walk/bike ride to get there.

- There's no such thing as a fish.

Julia

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Bushcrafters should never be left unattended in a charity shop, they'll always buy something they think may be useful.. SWMBO

Anti-snoring strips can be used for wound closure.
The inner strands of paracord can be used as dental floss.
It's impossible to make feathersticks with an Opinel knife.

Why's that then? I've done it, and watched probably hundreds of others do it, for many years. I used to go out for days at a time with just an Oppy, never failed me.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My comment refers to clothing. I live in a desert where the numbers easily reach over 100 F regularly in the warm months, with very low humidity. I can dress accordingly and adjust my hours of activity.

If I'm cold, and likely wet by now, it will be more difficult (not impossible, but more difficult) to get warm.

From personal experience, I stand by my comment.

You live in a dry desert and find it easier to get cool than get warm if you are cold....
I live in a notoriously cool and wet place and find it easier to get warm if I am cold than cool if I am too hot ...
You can dress accordingly and adjust your hours of activity
I can dress for my climate and adjust my hours of activity...
It sounds like it is all down to personal adaptation :)
If I get cold I put on an extra warm layer and/or increase physical activity reserving activities that may get me extra cold to the warmest hours.
In the desert I found that as long as I maintained hydration (difficult at times) it was possible to keep reasonably comfortable (though physical exertion had to stop between 11am and 3pm and we just lay and dripped - activity started before dawn and continued to nightfall to compensate). In the jungle I found the high humidity made it next to impossible to cool using the body's natural methods - sweating - and when I picked up a minor fever I went into a heat spiral very quickly. Clothing made no difference, cool wet cloths made no difference as the water could not cool me by evaporation....
From personal experience I find if I am too hot it is more difficult to get cool...
I will not go back to the jungle - but I love the snow :)
Personal adaptation makes your habitual environment/climate more acceptable despite its extremes - in West Wales (and perhaps most of Britain if not Europe) we are not used to the heat but we are used to the cold and wet ... so heat kills us more easily perhaps.
It is easier for me to warm up by putting on a layer of clothing than to cool down once I have removed all extraneous clothing :) (that should have put a fearsome picture of my corpulent, sweaty body with minimal covering, into some folks minds... I am buying shares in the Mind Bleach mines :) )

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
I agree with everything you say.

We are products of our environment, whether native or longtime transplant.

I speak of my experience, in my natural wilderness (which holds from the Rockies west). My location is clearly marked top right. I certainly didn't expect to be called out for trying to expand on the common knowledge and geographical base here.

As an aside, to illustrate the levels of existing (or non lol) humidity in my immediate area...
(A phenomenon unknown in the days of slower travel, ie; horses, walking, etc.)
When traveling on the interstates and reentering Southern California from more humid climates in the heat of summer, one can actually feel their skin dry out. It gets tight and feels stretched. It goes away pretty quickly after a few drinks of water and just getting used to it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE