Best book on Trees?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 11, 2014
Grimsby
Hi all,

Can someone please recommend a good book detailing the Trees in Britain with pictures and the different uses from the wood, bark, sap etc.

Thanks in advance

Mike.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Tree identification and wood uses are different things, and unlikely to be covered in the same book.

For identification I use bothe the Collins pocket guide and the Eyewitness Handbook, with the Collins guide my preferred field guide as it is more portable. Both books have their plus points, but both include a lot of non-native species as there are so many non-native species planted and naturalised in the UK.

For wood you need a book on wood. For uses of trees generally you need a bushcrafting book like Mors Kochanski's book.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sorry for bumping an old topic, but are you talking about Collins British tree guide or Collins tree guide?

The Collins Guide that I am referring to above is for trees of Britain and Northern Europe. My version is out of date but a search on Amazon reveals lots of suitable books. The quality of this sort of publication these days is pretty good, so which one you like is really down to personal preference.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE