Best base layers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I'm with toddy on this one.....

Silk is best. Its not that its particulary good for warmth but is very comportable next to the skin and does wick moisture well, though not as good as polyprop.

While not ideal for athletic undertakings, for general outdoors stuff it can't be beat. Its main advantage on long trips is that it can be washed very regularly (every other day) and dries super quick (overnight in sleeping bag). This keeps your insulation layers clean from sweat which makes everything much warmer and all your clothes a lot less pongy after a couple of weeks. Its also flame proof and effectivly ware proof.

The added comfort of silk over the alternatives, when sitting in a canoe all day, has to be experianced to be beleived...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've not found that. I've got a few merino baselayers and all mine still have their original shape.
I prefer my woolpower ones to the icebreaker though, it's warmer and more comfortable.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Someone has said that pure merino wool gear looses it,s shape after a few washes. Ed and Alpha, is this true?

None of mine has.

I love my howies, I have chocolate fish but it's too short, my Howies are very expensive but still going strong after a few years.

I also find that I tend to wear fewer layers - I was out shooting for three hours in the snow couple of weeks ago in the Cairngorms in a merino baselayer, merino jumper and windprooof - toasty whilst my mate was shivering like mad.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Anyone see the gadget show yesterday, think it was on fiver, they were testing base layer systems, although cant remember which one won!!!!

Think the Mammut Alpine won, the Keela stuff came last, and when they did the fridge test the Woman wearing it actually got hotter. She gained temp according to the camera.

Go to the five site, head over to blog, and you can watch it online.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
The icebreakers i have are warmer than any of the berghaus or northface base layers i have, i recently seen the Ullfrotte base layers ( i think this was the brand) and they are merino but loop stiched inside, i didn't buy them as i didn't have the cash but they looked very very good, if i were to buy another base layer it would either be an icebreaker or the ullfrotte. Maybe someone who has one could let us know what they are like, they looked excellent.

I have the Ullfrote 200g johns. I get cold easily, but these are very warm in a temperate climate. I have used these already a few times this autumn (gets colder sooner here than in england), but at the expense of being too warm when walking because when I'm sat still it always pays off, especially when carving and it feels like I'm in my living room but with fresh air! By the time the snow comes they'll be about right.

I also have the Howies merino johns and they are much less comfortable than the Ullfrote ones. Despite the Howies' being slightly cooler I almost always reach for the Ullfrotes instead.

Thin merino will make not much difference when you sit on someting cold, which is worth bearing in mind, but I hardly notice when I'm sat on a steel bench or a rock with the terry looped Ullfrotes.

The Ullfrotes look like they'll last a long time. The only blemish is an axe cut which I had to repair (along with some other bits and pieces) :eek:

I second what Dougster says about layers. With a base layer I find that all I need is a jumper/trousers and a windproof on top, when it's fairly cold out.

I've never considered dabbling in synthetic base layers, since any interaction with synthetics in the past has made me want to scream, for instance a cheap acrylic balaclava I had made my head so hot and electric I could only wear it for about a minute before giving in... with the exception of polycotton army lightweights which are awesome trousers.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Can I put a word in for string/net underwear?

I use Brynje Super Thermo - which you buy direct from the site (drop them an email). Not cheap, but doesn't hum, and easy to vent if you're warm.Since it's mostly holes you don't get soggy wearing it.

It's absolutely excellent. If it's really, really cold, you can wear merino over it.

I also wear merino stuff (Icebreaker/merrell), and have been looking at DMZ.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I had a look, but couldn't bring myself to wear that! :lmao:

z_qm_product_grp1_6_Ostby_image2.jpg

I wear Lundhag merino wool longjohns and a synthetic North Cape base layer top or my helly hansen one (thicker than the north cape one). All really warm and comfortable.

Originally I chose to have synthetic for my top half as it's the sweatier half and I wasn't sure how wool would perform when it was wet. Although I'm replacing all my gear at the moment and I'll be getting a merino top to replace my north cape synthetic top. Mainly for comfort reasons and because I reckon it's going to be breathable enough. Hopefully!

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've only worn it for 2 day's so I've not washed it enough yet to tell. It did stretch slightly after the first wash, but I believe this is normal.

Never had a problem with either Chocolatefish or Howies stuff. It is desgined to be machine washable on a wool cycle.

I understand that since moving to China Icebreakers quality has dropped and therte have been issues re: washing - including pilling so much so that they say to wash qith jeans to removing the piling (and eventually the whole garment).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE