Bespoke specs

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Wasn't sure whether to put this is kit chatter or not cos a decent pair of bins is essential bushcraft kit no?

Anyway having recently found a pair of sides on ebay to repair an old pair of "John Lennon" specs I used to wear back in the 80's I thought this might be of interest as I think something we all appreciate is things made the old fashioned way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22766785

I tried to get Boots opticians to put my current prescription into the old pair and they made such a palaver, first of all they said they were not "ce marked" and that they had a policy of not reglazing anything over 2 years old (presumably because modern Chinese frames fall apart after that long, they certainly do in my experience) I took them to vision express instead, and they will do it "at my own risk"

It is ironic that something that was once commonly available on the NHS until Thatchers deregulation killed quality anything, is now considered a highly desirable exotic fashion that most high street opticians have no idea what to do with because they are too exclusive.

I also have a pair of National Eye Service steel rimmed gas mask specs from the forties that I wear everyday, probably from the same company, which I had the good fortune to have reglazed before my local opticians was absorbed into the boots empire.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I have wondered about reglassing old frames, both perscription and sun tints!

Seems a simple process to imagine, but clearly the throw away age has taken even stylish specs by storm!..

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I once found the phrase "I understand you can't do it, would you please advise if there is a competent optician in the town?" to be satisfactory when given the "computer says no" answer. ;)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am quite competent to fit the lenses myself despite the fiddly process with the tiny screws but that is not the way opticians work, if only I could just ask them to provide the lenses so as I could fit them in the frames myself. Of course they would not allow that because they can't charge the glazing fee, but what annoys more than anything else is the way that regulations seem to be involved because of needing a prescription for the lenses in the first place. There was a time when I could have taken an old pair to an opticians and simply said, give me a new set of lenses equivalent to these because it is not difficult for them to measure the prescription from the old pair without the need for an eye test.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I still do exactly that. You will find an optician that does it if you shop around. I have also found opticians who will obtain me true wrap around lenses with prescription, real hard sided lab specs and all sorts. Just avoid Boots (although Boots are good at bespoke hearing protection)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE