Bespoke packs.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alkier

May 10, 2010
Bristol
Hi there, I have recently hit a brick wall in my hunt to find the correct kit. I've got scoliosis which is an affliction of the spine which means its just a bit curved. As a result ive got one shoulderblade that sticks out more than the other. This makes wearing regular packs really difficult because the weight is spread over a much smaller surface area and after a while just starts to ache.

I've had some luck with one of those old swedish military packs with the metal frames on, that seems to make all the difference but as it stands that pack is just too small for any trekking where im out for more than a couple of days.

So my question is - can someone please suggest a company that makes bespoke packs that might be able to make me a regular pack with a frame on, or perhaps just recommend a pack that has a frame?

Thanks in advance.
The thought of not being able to travel because of this issue is really starting to worry me.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have a friend who has mild curvature of the spine. He finds that the Karrimor Sabre range can be adjusted to this better than most and has not needed any adjustments on the standard pack other than making some strapping longer on one side and putting in a retaining stitch on one of the shoulder straps so it sits slightly higher (he had this done at the local dry cleaners).

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Have you seen the LK70?
I'm assuming that you're got the LK30.
The 70 is large enough for any extended trekking you might want to do.

IMOM

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Living the dream
I make and moddify various bits of kit for people to order ,my first observation of those swedish bergens ,is they sit really high up on the back and right up over your head!
I would suggest that this is not a good snd it puts most of your load down through your spine and sholders ,this is not good practise for anybody and especially for you .
you want or need to spread the load down through your hips with a good quality waist belt and therefore give your sholders a break ,you legs are the strongest in the body and so you should make them do the lifting this also reduces the pressure on the spine and centre of gravity is lower.

You might want to look at the video on herethey review 3 bergens , about 4 mins in for back adjustment( I have no connections with this site BTW) http://www.rvops.co.uk/lowe-alpine-saracen-120l-dpm-1668.html im prity sure they all come in olive green

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
The LK70 has a waistbelt.
I replaced the harness with a MOLLE ugrade kit from eBay, it's a fantastic pack for serious loads, and transfers weight very nicely onto the hips.

alkier

May 10, 2010
Bristol
Thanks a lot for all the info guys, I had no idea there was a 70 Litre version of the Swedish pack. After a bit of hunting I've found a link on :
http://www.surplus.se/component/pag...acturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,26/

Sent them a message asking about their shipping policy (theyre a swedish site). Hoping they might be able to sort me out.

I took a look at that site IMOM, thanks for the link. I think while they look like a solid piece of kit, the same issue applies: the 'connecting' area of the pack to my back is just too flat, whereas with the Swedish surplus bags they sort of have an area of space between your back and the bag itself. Its mostly connected by two straps, one across the shoulders and one across the lower back. This 'gap' is what gives me the space to have a pack thats not all 'wonky'!

Thanks again!

IMOM

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Living the dream
Right I gotcha,

I just know from carring this sort of bergen on a frame ,(Para, GS ,Clansman radios) was not good as it dig in to my back and shoulders but an upgrade kit is a very good idea if it beefs up the padding on the straps .

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I'm 1.95 meters, I have no problem with the [70LK] pack, it sits very comfortably on my hips. I love original belt since it's made of leather and never slips like nylon webbing belts can do. If you wanna see the pack in action, and a comparison with a berghaus pack that is allegedly 80 liters without side pouches have a look at this thread.

I have now given away my pack to a relative. It was just too darn heavy for me. I don't need a pack that is specced to withstand a 10 meter drop from a helicopter.

There are a few companies doing custom jobs, aiguille alpine is one of them. Give them a ring.

Edit: woops, forgot to mention which pack I was talking about...

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've heard a lot of good things about Aguille Alpine regarding their made to measure packs.

Definitely worth giving them a call if you want something a bit different to what's available off the shelf.

alkier

May 10, 2010
Bristol
Been in touch with that swedish army surplus site and theyve agreed to mail to england, thanks a lot for your help folks.

BCUK is such a great site.
Happy camping!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Been in touch with that swedish army surplus site and theyve agreed to mail to england, thanks a lot for your help folks.

BCUK is such a great site.
Happy camping!

Can you let us know the total including postage please.

Happy camping to you too :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE