berry collector

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
was impressed by Mr Mears berry collector last night. Having spent years squashing sundry staining fruits over my digits, I would'nt mind one of these. Anybody know where they can be obtained?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's a cylindrical thing made of rods (metal in this case) held together by a circular base and a collar. The rods are spaced to allow small debris to drop through, whilst retaining the berries, and extend beyond the collar in a finger-like arrangement. You comb the finger-like ends through the bush to collect the berries.

I believe this device is called a berry comb, but I can't find one anywhere on the net... Can't be too hard to make though.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Ah, I know the type. Very common in Scandinavia. I have used them several times. Don't know where they are sold these days though.

We call them a "berrypicker" directly translated.

I'll try to find a source.

Here is a photo of an old one I found on a site:
bilder.php

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
sort of basket of wire with a comb on one end......... whoops beaten to it!

Torusk your museum piece loohs similar , but this was as has been described, an open framwork of rods.. but with some subtle bits of shaping it seemed to me...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My gran had one of these when I was little. It was okay if you were picking the fruit bushes for jelly, juice or wine, but it got too many unripe or stalked ones for jam or tart making. Especially handy for grossets and brambles iirc :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I bought a modern plastic version this summer for £3.5. They're commonly available here. I know of one who sells wooden ones, with the rake made in steel, here
. As usual there is no english information there... But I figure that it wouldn't be so hard to make one yourself.. They're brilliant anyway.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I think they are also called Blueberry/Blaeberry/Berry Combs. Had a search but can't find one anywhere.

I've given the old wicker basket brushing/scooping method a go (as Mr Mears did in his last series). It's quite effective although you do damage a lot of the berries.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
warthog1981 said:
easy enought to make one what would be the ideal spacing between the wires ? :rolleyes:

The spacing needs to be somewhat tighter than the berries you are going to pick. They are used on berries down to the size of cowberries, so the spacing needs to be less than 5mm (which is about the size of the smaller cowberries).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The one I remember was about the size of one of those big old enamelled tin mugs. I reckon a trial one could be made neatly from a plastic jug with the tines cut into the spout side. Two jugs for £1 in the £stores just now...........on the other hand, ivy berries apart, what's to gather just now :confused:

Actually, see if this works? I want one for gathering the little cones from bog myrtle :cool: That's normally a sticky footer of a job :rolleyes

Cheers,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a different thing.......well we used that kind for apples, pears and geans, not berries..........is this what RM was using in the programme? This cage one used to get tied on top one of the clothes line stretchers
Useful link tho' :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE