Bernie Garland blades?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
this thread is not a "if you don't like it bugger off and buy something else" thread.

it is an "express your opinion on the blades thread"

we are all adults - surely we can have a civilised discussion as such.

If that's all you want, then, yes, I like my Bernie Garland blade. Both the Woodcarver and the B&T knives he made for me are excellent and lovely to use. Habit drove me to do a little work on the blade, honing and polishing it but that would have happened no matter who had made them. Would I go back to Bernie for another one? Yes.

I think, if I may venture a suggestion, your opening gambit was a little inflammatory and was destined to reap the harvest it did. Perhaps a more open approach - "What do you think of Bernie Garland's knives?" - would have elicited a more measured discussion, into which you could have put your observations about the finish on the blades at a later stage. I'm not telling you what to do, merely making an observation and offering an opinion. :eek:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got one of his early "bushcrafters" in 3mm and it's a beauty, always has been and it gets a fair bit of hard use too:confused:

This was it shortly after arrival
berniesbushcrafter5DSCF3065copy.jpg

The blade is more polished now, after nearly three years use and care but otherwise, looks and performs the same.

I've also got one of his carver blanks, which is still housed in a temp handle but is a brilliant tool, which also is heavily employed.

I'm curious to hear a bit more, about what was wrong with the knife in question.
Was it a new knife?

I'm also wondering if the owner was happy with it and if not; have they contacted Bernie to sort it out?

atb

R.B.

Last edited:

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
Well if Bernie takes a higher grind line than Alan does on the Woodlore .... similar to my HillBill knife .... then I would agree with those like SF and others who use his knives that "that particular feature" is a plus ....

It is a shame though that the OP could'nt take a couple of pic's to show what he meant .... and equally it is a shame that the maker cannot get on here to defend any criticism. On that point alone I would not have "a Pop" at him or his work ....

I have'nt owned one of his knives so cannot comment .... but for my tuppence worth if the OP does'nt own one either .... then where and how did he see the blade that he can establish it was not worked on by the person who did own it? That the "roughness" is or was where? What was "rough"? And is'nt this one of those threads where you really need pictures to back up or make clear what is being said ....???

Quality control is something the guy may well be interested in ....

If the issue is the lack of a high grit or polishing finish on the blade .... meaning that there appears to be just an asthetic preference issue .... then let's be clear that that is the point. If by rough you mean the grind lines are not symetrical .... something I have had and which caused me to send another maker's knife back .... then again let's know what the "roughness" is .... something like that is much more important IMO ....

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Bit difficult with statements like "the finish of the blade was appalling in my opinion. " to have a civilised discussion :(

and why is that exactly?

If that's all you want, then, yes, I like my Bernie Garland blade. Both the Woodcarver and the B&T knives he made for me are excellent and lovely to use. Habit drove me to do a little work on the blade, honing and polishing it but that would have happened no matter who had made them. Would I go back to Bernie for another one? Yes.

I think, if I may venture a suggestion, your opening gambit was a little inflammatory and was destined to reap the harvest it did. Perhaps a more open approach - "What do you think of Bernie Garland's knives?" - would have elicited a more measured discussion, into which you could have put your observations about the finish on the blades at a later stage. I'm not telling you what to do, merely making an observation and offering an opinion. :eek:

having said that above - I will admit that in hindsight I perhaps should have made a less inflammatory statement.
nevertheless - I have stated my opinion - I simply want the opinion of others.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you expect a high gloss finish/ black tactical/camo then yes the finish will disapoint.
I like none of the above and will usually patinate a carbon blade just to kill the awful shine of an over finished blade. I would not thank you for a black tactical or camo finish either...
Bernies blade finish is fine by me and I like using the B and T knife of his that I now have.

It is all down to taste realy - some people want one thing - others want another. Bernies stuff suits my needs...a good working knife that loks good without being over prettied. :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Well if Bernie takes a higher grind line than Alan does on the Woodlore .... similar to my HillBill knife .... then I would agree with those like SF and others who use his knives that "that particular feature" is a plus ....

It is a shame though that the OP could'nt take a couple of pic's to show what he meant .... and equally it is a shame that the maker cannot get on here to defend any criticism. On that point alone I would not have "a Pop" at him or his work ....

I have'nt owned one of his knives so cannot comment .... but for my tuppence worth if the OP does'nt own one either .... then where and how did he see the blade that he can establish it was not worked on by the person who did own it? That the "roughness" is or was where? What was "rough"? And is'nt this one of those threads where you really need pictures to back up or make clear what is being said ....???

If the issue is the lack of a high grit or polishing finish on the blade .... meaning that there appears to be just an asthetic preference issue .... then let's be clear that that is the point. If by rough you mean the grind lines are not symetrical .... something I have had and which caused me to send another maker's knife back .... then again let's know what the "roughness" is .... something like that is much more important IMO ....

this thread will do nothing but waste my time and ruin my day.

it will be locked shortly.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Perhaps actually describing what you thought was wrong with the finish etc,so that people will have a better understanding on what you feel was missing from it, and perhaps a description of what you look for in a finished item? This way folks will be able to better tailor their replies to suit the tread.

Cheers,

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
this thread will do nothing but waste my time and ruin my day.

it will be locked shortly.

Don't start whinging and moaning now, you cant honestly think you can post a comment like your opening one and think everything will be tickety boo ...........:christmas1:

Yeah! threads like this should be locked because they just cause bad feeling:pokenest:

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire

Don't own one and happy with what I've got. Forum bickering gets REALLY tiresome. If Mac would try to answer the above it might help us all and put the discussion to bed....

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
right then - it seems the mod I pm'd is busy so I will rise to the bait.

IN MY OPINION - I found the low grit finish on the edge of the blade and the spine - below a standard I would expect for a knife costing so much.

the edge of the blade was rough and the low grit finish made the edge look like a hacksaw.

I DO NOT know if this was altered by the owner. but I do not believe the blade was altered by the owner as he was very chuffed with it.

what difference does it make where I saw the blade?

and why shouldn't I be able to express an opinion without expecting a flaming in response?
judging by some reactions one would think I have stated I am an active Nazi.

it is quite frankly ridiculous. we are talking about a bloody knife for goodness sake.

if you are happy with the blade then great - indeed if it does its job to a good standard then thumbs up. I just wonder why people are willing to spend hundreds on a rough "user" finish?

perhaps I should make it very clear that I am not a collector. I am a user. if at any point my knife fails me in any way it gets binned or sold. and my "user" finish will never be as rough as the one I saw on the BG blade. - nor will it ever be so highly polished I can see myself in it.

for such a top bloke I am curious to know why he is not on here to defend himself, or on britishblades for that matter? In fact is he not banned from most forums excluding his own?

as it stands the BG fans are living up to the reputation I have heard about.

Last edited:

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
right then - it seems the mod I pm'd is busy so I will rise to the bait.

IN MY OPINION - I found the low grit finish on the edge of the blade and the spine - below a standard I would expect for a knife costing so much.

the edge of the blade was rough and the low grit finish made the edge look like a hacksaw.

I DO NOT know if this was altered by the owner. but I do not believe the blade was altered by the owner as he was very chuffed with it.

what difference does it make where I saw the blade?

and why shouldn't I be able to express an opinion without expecting a flaming in response?
judging by some reactions one would think I have stated I am an active Nazi.

it is quite frankly ridiculous. we are talking about a bloody knife for goodness sake.

if you are happy with the blade then great - indeed if it does its job to a good standard then thumbs up. I just wonder why people are willing to spend hundreds on a rough "user" finish?

perhaps I should make it very clear that I am not a collector. I am a user. if at any point my knife fails me in any way it gets binned or sold. and my "user" finish will never be as rough as the one I saw on the BG blade. - nor will it ever be so highly polished I can see myself in it.

for such a top bloke I am curious to know why he is not on here to defend himself, or on britishblades for that matter? In fact is he not banned from most forums excluding his own?

I don't think you've done your own reputation any favours with that post Mac:rolleyes:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
why shouldn't I be able to express an opinion without expecting a flaming in response?

Ah, because, you see, NO ONE asked your opinion in the first place!
You are, of course, more than entitled to express you opinion - whether asked or not.
But when you express such a provocative opinion then you can expect to provoke quite a response. And if that doesn't seem obvious then you must be incredibly naive.
You can't, honestly, think the wording in your original thread was in any way measured, objective and considered, can you? No. You gave your unasked-for opinion in a provocative manner and now you get all squeamish and hissy because people have responded likewise.
Ho hum.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com

:pokenest:
Yes hes banned, but whats that got to do with his knives? He speaks his mind and sticks up for what he thinks is right and hes loyal to his mates and customers, and stands by his product and gives bloody good service..
but hey never mind all publicity is good publicity eh lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Yes hes banned, but whats that got to do with his knives? He speaks his mind and sticks up for what he thinks is right and hes loyal to his mates and customers, and stands by his product and gives bloody good service..

He's gone bushcrafting and fishing for the weekend, lol:lmao::canoe:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland

please edit your quote to remove the top line - I am happy to argue and stand my ground all day.

but I will not allow the nazi comment to be taken out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE