Bernie Garland blade in a local wood handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glyn

A friend of mine asked if I could put a knife together for him...
There was a bit of a underlying reason for this, as he is a druid and wanted a knife for ceremonial use, as well as cutting up sandwiches, small branches, string etc...
After making sure that no goats/virgins would be sacrificed with this knife (apologies to any druids out there, but stereotypes are wonderful...), I stumbled across Bernie Garlands website, and as he was just down the road from me, it seem a good idea to try and find as many local materials as possible.
After a delay due to living in interesting times, the 70mm carver blade was duly ordered.
I'd also found some local holly which looked good, and a chunky piece of hawthorn which had been cut from the rear of the garden earlier this year.
I'd got a left over piece of nickel silver that'd probably look nice in the handle.
After putting it off for a while, I managed to escape from the madhouse for a few hours this weekend and managed to put it together

Untitled by Glyn Smith, on Flickr
The pieces ready for glueing

Glued together

Rough sanding

Final shape

Homemade knife by Glyn Smith, on Flickr
Just about finished

I'd forgotten how enjoyable it is to actually make something.
Great fun!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Lovely little knife - much better than my efforts (making one at the moment but it won't turn out that nicely...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE