Berghaus Yeti Gaitors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 28, 2016
SALTBURN
Hi all,

There might already be a thread on here about this but i am new so please bear with me ,i am interested in the Berghaus Yeti Gaitors and would like some honest opinions on them. What i have read on other sites all say they are to difficult to fit on even when boiled in water so are they worth the effort thanks in advance.

Martin o

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I've had a set on my winter boots for years, they stay on permanantly.

It's worth the faf to get them on IMO.

I already have a spare pair on the off chance I knacker my first pair, hasn't happened yet.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Probably the best gaiters you can have, particularly in snow and wet peat bog BUT you need to have boots with a stiff enough sole as the rubber rand is necessarily very tight and will just roll up a bendy boot. I used to keep mine permanently on my plastic winter mountaineering boots, even using glue to help weld them on. They are not too difficult to put on/take off once you learn the knack - there a couple of You Tube videos around to demonstrate.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Great pieces of kit, I wouldn't boil them though. They need to be a bit warm but I'd be unhappy putting them even on a radiator to warm them up. They're almost like wellies when they're on.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
I've recently had trouble getting these on a pair of scarpa asolo boots.

I've boiled the rubber rand, which definitely made the job a hell of a lot easier and doesn't seem to have damaged the gaiter.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Make sure you don't get water into your boots with these on as they make them take even longer to dry out. Otherwise than that i know i few people who use them and rate them highly.

Tonyuk

Brynglas

Yeti gaiters are good but it does depend on the boot you want to fit them to. The Rand doesn't fit snugly to some boot/ sole designs so you may need to do a bit of trimming. I don't use them anymore as they make cleaning and maintenance of boots a bit of a pain.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Yeti gaiters are good but it does depend on the boot you want to fit them to. The Rand doesn't fit snugly to some boot/ sole designs so you may need to do a bit of trimming. I don't use them anymore as they make cleaning and maintenance of boots a bit of a pain.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

exactly what I say had a pair in the 1980's and they had to be for stiff winter boots and only certain ones. No use on flexible boots. We use to glue ours to a boot but obviously could only use that boot for certain times and places.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have a couple of pairs – the first pair I used with my old scarpa boots with the attak sole unit – which is what the yeti gaiters are especially designed for – it has a rim around the tow that interfaces best with the gaiters rand, and a channel in the forefoot of the sole that accepts the thin cross piece/strip of rubber from the gaiter. I’m not sure what boots you can get these days that have the skywalk attak sole unit on them though, I don’t think even the trusty Scarpa SL’s (if you can still get them) have those soles. Whilst requiring a bit of muscle to fit, the combination was absolutely legendary for the likes of Dartmoor. And if you didn’t hang about too long, you could also wade streams and rivers up to the top of the gaiter without it letting in water.

I use a second pair with my lowa patrol boots. Because those boots just have a standard vibram sole, I have had to trim off the thin runner strap on the sole of the gaiter, and I use superglue to glue the gaiter rand onto the toe of the boot sole. This works pretty well, and seems to keep it all located nicely when out and about, yet enables me to fairly easily peel it off when I don’t need the gaiters attached to the boots any longer. Any superglue residue on the rubber sole of the boot can be quite easily scratched off if you are bothered by that.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using a pair on winter Cairngorms treks for the last few years, they fit very nicely on my Scarpa ZG10 which have quite a stiff sole.

I just warm them up on a radiator for ten minutes before I put them on, the final pull over the toe box is a bit painful on the thumbs but it's not too bad.

I find after four or five days in the bush they start to creep off and need regular readjusting, the solution is to glue them on but I don't want to wreck a good pair of boots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE