Berghaus Cyclops Roc rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 5, 2012
NC, USA
I'd like to hear about these packs. Your likes, dislikes, tips , whatever you'd like to say about them.

I'm looking for one in canvas if anyone has one that doesn't get used as much as it used to and doesn't mind shipping to the states.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers!

Mike

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I bought one about 15 years ago from an army surplus trader. I'm not ex-military, i just love the colour olive green. I've had the lid elastic professionally replaced and a side seam professionally repaired and it functions as good as new which is pretty good considering it was second-hand 15 years ago. I recently renewed one of the rivets holding the main body to the internal frame which is probably a common fault by the look of it, but that is the only design fault i could point to. The interesting thing is that the back has little padding and the hip belt virtually none either but when you fill it full of gear and chuck it on your back it's supremely comfortable. I don't know how Berghaus managed it, but less is more it seems! I'm afraid you can't have mine as i wouldn't part with it for love nor money. :)

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
One of the best packs ever made IMO. Very well made, not too heavy, different size backs, bombproof and a good size without being huge when full. A lot of soldiers bought them in the 80's as they were much better than the issue kit. The design is a bit old school now and some of the newer packs like the Karrimor Sabre 75 have extra desirable features but essentially a very good pack.
The old canvas ones are quite hard to find (although you just missed one on ebay UK). They lack the compression straps on the sides so are perhaps less useful and would probably take longer to dry. You can probably get one for about £30 + shipping off ebay which is great value.

Jan 2, 2010
cambridgeshire
I had a Roc in the mid 80`s , it was great , holds just enough , with the berghaus stndard of design, goes on forever, did two commando courses (broke my leg in test week, had to do it all over again) and an arctic survival course. last seen spread across dartmoor when some scum broke into my motor and nicked it. got a centurion as the replacemet, still going strong nearly 20 yrs later but it is soo big, i always overload it. a Roc with the side pockets is much better.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
They are indeed bombproof. Paid £80 for mine in DPM in 86 and did many many miles carrying 70+lbs. Always heavy, but comfy. Sold it in the mid 90s for £30. What a mug I was!

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Bought mine in 1987 and it's still going strong, having been schlepped all over the world and abused on many military exercises. Great piece of kit, though not as comfortable as more modern bergans.

Dec 5, 2012
NC, USA
Bought mine in 1987 and it's still going strong, having been schlepped all over the world and abused on many military exercises. Great piece of kit, though not as comfortable as more modern bergans.

Comfort almost always takes a back seat to a good sturdy piece of kit... especially when it looks so damn good while your lugging it around.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I still have a canvas one from 1982 I bought with my pocket money for a trip to the Pyrenees. Still going strong (after 2 trips to Tundra Repairs). Sorry but I wouldn't part with it.

DSCN2006.jpg

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I still love mine, like most I bought it in the 80's for use in the army. I just wish I'd bought the side pockets for it then, as I'm not sure what would fit now or where to get them from, any ideas? As you can probably tell I' in no rush to part with it. As for issues, the only one I had was for the upper harness adjustment straps (the ones from the shoulder to the sack, to pull it in tight) used to slip and come loose when running with it fully loaded. An easy cure was to use tape and a knot in the webbing!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You can use the current issue rocket pack pouches, you can also occasionally find the original 5L Berghaus hard plastic backed pouches on ebay.

leon-1

I have had a number of Bergans over the years and last year I was gifted an old Berghaus Roc, it had no frame. I built a new one.

The Roc is a very good piece of kit. Due to the fact that there is not entry from lots of little zipped compartments / pockets, it does mean that you think more about how you pack it.

They are robust and the level of comfort isn't half bad. It's not as comfortable as many with parallax suspension sytems and heavily padded belts with adjustment straps all over the place, but it is simple and there are very few things to go wrong with it.

They are not small without being too big, inviting you to pack the kitchen sink and then some.

The elastication around the lid hoes after a period of time, but that's no great hassle and can be replaced.

All in all it has been one of my favourite packs and probably always will be and I'll be using mine again in a weeks time when I am off teaching.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I got mine in about 1982 and used it for years but I would have to admit that they are outdated now and the hip belt is very thin and uncomfortable in comparison with modern packs. Mine also came unstitched in several places almost as soon as I bought it and I had to do some sewing. It did then do very well for years, although now the frame is bent.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I had one, a ropey old thing, it was stolen from my tent at reading festival in 1998, gutted when that happened, it was replaced with a Vulcan :)

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I bought mine from Survival Aids in 1986, it was the Special Patrol version with extended liner so you could use it as a Bivvi Bag, the waist belt buckle broke, but it was an excellent bit of kit, I bought a crusader but I have no idea where the Roc went as I can't find it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE