Berghaus aquafoil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Hi

I was looking at the waterproofs in Blacks at the weekend and came across some Berghaus jackets made from Aquafoil fabric. I was wondering whether anyone knows anything about this fabric or has any experience of using jackets made from the stuff.

I have not been able to find out much about the fabric and Berghaus simply describe it as "their own waterproof fabric". The jackets were considerably cheaper than any of the Goretex ones.

Anybody able to shed any light on the fabric or share any experiences?

Just how waterproof, breathable and longlasting is it? How does it compare to goretex (other than being a lot cheaper!).

Thanks
Dave

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
hi Dave, don't know if this helps but i use a pair of Aquafoil overtrousers when i go out walking and there excellent, i know you don't sweat the same on your legs but i have worn these all day in the rain and been bone dry when i got home ;)

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
the mrs has both aqua foil and gortex, used the berghaus aqua in some pretty bad weather in the lakes and its never let her down, so if goretex is out of your budget go for it you wont be disappointed

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
It does de-laminate from the outer fabric MUCH quicker than GTX. Expect it to last 2-3 years tops.

Now I'm going to be proved wrong.

I used to work in an outdoor shop and that was the time the majority lasted!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've owned a Berghaus Aquafoil jacket for four years and can say it has never let me down. Never used Goretex so can't say which is better, but my jacket remains totally waterproof and is breathable too. Great value and utterly reliable.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Thanks for your comments - useful information.

I have used Goretex in the past and have been pretty happy with it but was shocked to see how the prices have rocketed up since I last bought.

So is Aquafoil a membrane type of fabric, like goretex?

I have to say I was rather put off by a comment on the jacket's label about some water proof coating they have put on it. Made me think of those terrible old-style cagoules - first month you got soaked from the inside with sweat and condensation, second month you got soaked by rain because the waterproofing had worn off!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE