Bergen question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mutineer

Apr 30, 2013
Hampshire
Hi all.
I am looking for a rucksack. I own a Berghaus civilian mountaineer type rucksack which is great but I want something bigger and capable of carrying axes poles etc on the outside.
I am ex army and I love the issue bergen except for the back system.

Basically, I would like an issue bergen with a decent back/waist system and stash pockets on the side for when rocket pouches are not attached or for poles/axe.

Which is the closest match?

Having looked at the Karrimor60-100, Lowe Alpine saracen and Berghaus version I am still not sure which is the closest match. It is hard to know what the sizes actually are. I like the look of the Karrimor but the conversion to 100l with a zip just looks plain odd.

what are your thoughts guys?

Nick

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
There's a vast range of civvy stuff, and even if it isn't quite so bomb-proof I think you'll find a civvy pack that will suit you better than anything issued.

Everybody's different, I'd advise against buying something on the say-so of someone here on BCUK without first giving it a good test on the hills - or at least a quick stroll up and down the high street.

Have you considered some sort of chest pack? Seems to me the older I get the more unbalanced I feel with everything on my back.

How many axes and poles would you think you'll be carrying? :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
+1 to the chest pack - I've found it makes an enormous difference to balance and comfort....................Field and Trek website are selling Lowe Alpine Sting with the pockets for £100 - I'm on my second one of these and they're the business.............fully loaded and with both pockets on I can go with all I need for ten days in great comfort, and the back system is just superb. I reckon you have to spend a vast amount to better this one,
and I don't know that I'd choose another even if it was free!.................................atb mac

Roy

Nov 19, 2008
Liverpool
Another recomendation for the Lowe Alpine sting. The side straps and built in slots allow the carriage of poles, axe , machete and even skis. The addition of the zip on rocket pouches give more capacity and they can be used as a day sack.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I also would thoroughly recommend a Lowe Alpine Sting. Rugged, spacious and very comfortable.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It is smaller, but still huge............seems counter intuitive, but I find the design of a pack makes as much difference to what it'll carry as does the size.................

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Basically, I would like an issue bergen with a decent back/waist system and stash pockets on the side for when rocket pouches are not attached or for poles/axe.

Which is the closest match?

Nick, have a look at the Warrior BMF bergen sold by uktactical, it may fit the bill? Available in brown or OD, I fancy one for portaging but can't justify spending £200 at the moment!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Since no one has mentioned the vulcan I thought I would ;)..............similar design & capacity to the PLCE bergen but much more comfortable if you get the right back size.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
If you like the PLCE pack, why not buy a frame and fix it on? Mystery Ranch make incredible frames which cost a fortune, however the new USMC FILBE pack can be brought in the UK for about £150 and features a frame and straps which are well comfy. I carried 22 kilos for about six or seven hours off the track in Dartmoor without significant discomfort and then put it back on the next morning for a few hours and it was still fine. Amazing frame and hip belt with well padded straps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Lowe alpine saracen would work for you- larger than the PLCE bergen- very good back system, and as they are issued to Dutch Marines and SF, they are available second hand for around £60 last time I looked. They take the PLCE side pockets as well. I have one that I'm very happy with. I also have a karrimor 60-100 that fits your spec (the zip expansion system works well, and looks pretty tidy whichever mode the pack is in)- but it's substantially more money! Both are pretty heavy rucksacks though.

e.g. http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...gs/dutch-military-issue-large-110-988456.html

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
An excellent price there for a brilliant rucksack. THe adjustable back is a huge plus, and they're as well made - if not better - than anything else out there. Molle all over it, floating lid, the side pockets have their own harness to use singly or zipped together as a daypack. The Royal Marines love them - at least the ones I've talked to!

Its basically a bigger Salient - see youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkT2Rfggq5k

THere's also an RV Ops vid on the Saracen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dInNyNWgzbk , and another with some mods to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWvQ5URIi-0

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
My mate got a low apline new for I think £100 off Field and Trek website, with the side pockets that have small straps on the back to make a daysack with. Very handy.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nick, that link talks about the pack having MOLLE style fixings. Does it have PLCE clips too? I'm interested in the pack but I have several old PLCE side pockets and if they'd fit without modification that would make it a more attractive proposition for me.

Looks like the MOLLE's on the face of the pack; not the sides. I believe the side pockets are interchangeable.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
If you can stretch to it, there are mixed reviews on the US ILBE pack which is an Arc Teryx design, and pretty big too. It has a hybrid frame. They appear on UK eBay some times.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Nick, that link talks about the pack having MOLLE style fixings. Does it have PLCE clips too? I'm interested in the pack but I have several old PLCE side pockets and if they'd fit without modification that would make it a more attractive proposition for me.

Ged- it has molle strips on the front of the pack- big enough for at least 2 or 3 utility size pouches. It doesn't have the plce side release clips, just the zips. To be honest though, the clips aren't needed and the zips being very heavy duty are more than sufficient to take the weight of anything in the side pouch. Mine came with lowe alpine side pouches- an almost identical design to the plce ones, however with a slightly lower capacity, hence why i use plce pouches on the saracen now. No modification required at all.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
One thing to add on the MOLLE aspect is weight - I have a MOLLE covered back pack and I wonder how much extra weight is added by all the MOLLE. I have a similar sized pack without MOLLE and it weighs a kilo less!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE