Bergen Long or Short?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Well if you want to wear webbing get the short back if you don't get the long. I've used both & the short is very short, I'm not tall (167cm) & still got a sore back with the short back.

A lot of the load we carry needs to go on the hips & the waist band on the short back sort of sits around your stomach - I guess it was more used for balance then load support.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Steve,

I am 6ft and the long back sits perfectly the base sits in the small of my back. I have an old 90s Olive green PLCE Bergen and side pouches. It could hold everything and the kitchen sink. Most of the time I have it all pulled tight to make it smaller and the side pouches off.

I tend to put a side pouch inside the main bag just to help separate items and easy access. I can't fault them. My only issue was I had to rivet the frame as it had popped due to age. Treated mine with nixwax and it's bombproof now.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
I forgot to mention that I am 5'-10......................................and a 1/2" apparently the 1/2" makes all the difference.
So you both recommend a Long back/

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Yep, good Bergan's. I would get an OG one before they all disappear. You can save a little bit of weight by removing the front pocket & the little bits of tape. Alternatively you can pick up an old Berghaus Crusader or Vulcan off ebay.

WildernessSauce

Jun 15, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne
In case it's of use to anyone, I bought a long back bergen years ago to use as a standalone pack. I chose a long back because I'm 6' 3". More recently I bought some PLCE webbing and thought the two would work together quite well, largely because the kidney pads on the bergen are higher than you'd find on a civvy pack, but I was wrong.

The webbing belt sits right around my belly button, because of the length of the straps on the main yoke, and at that position the long back bergen sits too high to be comfortable. Also, too much of the packs weight rests on the webbing pouches and when it's loaded it's really uncomfortable.

Last week I bought a short back bergen to see if that was any better. At first I was put off by just how high the short back sat on my body, but after a bit of adjustment, of both the webbing and the bergen, it's actually turned out to be a pretty comfortable combo.

Even at my height, if I want to use the bergen with webbing, the short back is the favourite. However, if I need a bergen to use without webbing the long back wins.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE