Bergans Morgedal Anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I bought the above smock from another of our esteemed colleagues here a few days ago, new w/out tags, and it arrived early yesterday; absolutely perfect weather to try it out for the past few days. Torrential rain, strong-ish blow and temp at 18*C.....................I've done a good 18 miles in it, and it's already proved itself to be as good as the reviews led me to believe.
I run extremely hot when walking and I'd rather be wet from the rain than from my own sweat, but for the first time in years I was reasonably comfortable; if it'll deal with these conditions (my worst nightmare for walking) it bodes well for the colder times............I reckon this over wool over linen = heaven............we'll see, eh?

What I'd like to know from anybody with experience of the smock is how it stands up to the friction from a pack? Shoulders and back, as I walk every day with 25 - 30 lbs, mainly in a military-type pack. I'd be grateful for any feedback from those with experience of Epic cotton.............TIA....................atb mac

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I also bought one on here a week or so ago, only had one trip out with it to Lomond last weekend but I wasn't carrying a pack as I was in the canoe. A bit of bushwhacking on a soggy misty morning meant it got a good test for an hour or so, I was pleased to see the water just bead up and run off rather than wet out.

I bought it to use when it's too mild for my ventile but I still want the weather/bushwhacking/spark protection on bushy trips. The breathability is great, easily on a par with my ventile, and the added bonus is it doesn't turn to cardboard when it rains. I've worn my ventile on plenty of hiking trips in winter and I've not got any signs of wear from the straps, I think the epic cotton will perform just as well.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks for the reply, Rich.......I love it already, I think the Epic feels really nice and it's silent too. I'm sure it'll be fine with the pack on but I'll know tomorrow as I've got a long-ish walk to do..........atb mac

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have had one for a while now and love it :)
Great over wool in winter, has yet to lose water repellancy and shows no sign of wear ... but I do keep it for "best" at the moment, all my rough stuff being done in my older Ventile jackets/smocks.
Am I alone in having a "sliding scale" of jackets?
Almost worn out - rough work such as hedging
Getting rough - wilder camps in thorny country
Nearly new - everyday wear
Still shiney - best wear and day hikes in open country
As one gets unwearable they all move along a grade :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've just got back from a 12 miler with a fair weight in my pack, a tad over 24lbs, and I can't speak highly enough of this smock; three days in and it's set to become a firm favourite already. Weather here has been
between sixteen and twenty degrees, very high humidity, extremely heavy rain for prolonged periods and a fair old gusty blow, and I've come back dry and comfortable. I wore the smock over a linen shirt and have had no discomfort at all - and I'm the world's worst for running hot when walking, especially in conditions like these.

I'm very impressed indeed with this smock and would recommend it highly on my experience of it so far, and I reckon it's great value at around £150, IIRC...........................atb mac

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
In ventile you would certainly get water ingress wetting the linen underneath in those conditions. It sounds impressive.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I did get some water ingress, but it wasn't excessive or uncomfortable and the smock dries very quickly indeed so the linen did too............and much less uncomfortable than being wet from my own perspiration, that's
for sure! The other great thing is that there's none of the stiffening business that I remember with ventile..................atb mac

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
One thing that annoys me with the Morgedal is the useless cordlock on the waist cord. I've just tied a quick overhand knot behind it once cinched up but I might swap it out one day.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I don't think I'll ever use the waist cinch and definitely not the hem, but you're right, carpy it is...............The one drawback I've found is the hood design - the shock cord that acts as volume adjuster is a good idea in principle, but the damned thing runs in a direct line across the upper part of my ears and is too uncomfortable to use - but having said that I've never found a single hood on any piece of kit I've ever had that works for me, so that's probably speaking more about me than this design.................I think I may ask Ian to take it off neatly and leave a decent collar - but not yet!

I've had two good long walks today and I'm more impressed with it each time I don it.......................................atb mac

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
love mine too

did about 15 miles in mine the other week best bit of kit I've bought in some time

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I have had one for a while now and love it :)
Great over wool in winter, has yet to lose water repellancy and shows no sign of wear ... but I do keep it for "best" at the moment, all my rough stuff being done in my older Ventile jackets/smocks.
Am I alone in having a "sliding scale" of jackets?
Almost worn out - rough work such as hedging
Getting rough - wilder camps in thorny country
Nearly new - everyday wear
Still shiney - best wear and day hikes in open country
As one gets unwearable they all move along a grade :)

Got to agree with you here, it's a man thing as swmbo keeps telling me....

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@ Nonsuch,...............I'm a 42 - 44 and five ten, a classic L and this fits me a treat; comfortable and loose with just a wicking T shirt and room for linen and wool or whatever to go under it.............atb mac

mutineer

Apr 30, 2013
Hampshire
Hi there,
When you say you bought it on here a few days ago, am I missing something? Is there a BCUK sell going on?
I have been googling this for a while as it looks right up my street and I really want one. I will kick myself if I have missed something.
Is there any way of modifying the waist cord to make it stronger and maybe tuck it out of the way?
ATB
Nick

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@ mutineer; ........No mate, you haven't missed a thing, I got mine in a private sale from another member - the place to go is the Woodlore site, about 150 squid IIRC.................

I don't use cords to tighten stuff, but the one on these is strong enough - it's just the cordlock itself that's a bit naff. Very simple to swap that out, just get a quality/stronger one and change 'em over...........atb mac

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi there,
When you say you bought it on here a few days ago, am I missing something? Is there a BCUK sell going on?
I have been googling this for a while as it looks right up my street and I really want one. I will kick myself if I have missed something.
Is there any way of modifying the waist cord to make it stronger and maybe tuck it out of the way?
ATB
Nick

I got mine through the classifieds too

I only paid £65 for mine but don't tell Mac :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE