bench grinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi all,
I want to start having ago at knife making. I need a bench grinder anyway but as i want at knife making would it be better for me to go for one with a belt sander or one with a wet stone.I think the wet stone might be good for the blade but the belt would be needed for the handle ......but then again i what do i know....please help as my brain has gone into overdrive and is about to explode soon ;)......any advice gladly taken :)

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
The wet stone grinders is no good for shaping or putting bevels on, they are really for sharpening, the stone wears down very quick just to put the bevels on a woodlore type knife would take forever and wear the stone right down

You are better off to get one of the 48" X 6" Machine Mart type disc/belt grinders and put a raised plattern on and use 2" wide belts then you can do it all including the handle, you would have to get the belts made but that's not that expensive or cut the 6" belts down
look over on BB they have some Ideas
I use a proper knife grinder but I have one of the above as a back up and for flattening scales and the disc part is handy for blade profiles

Over on this side, most knifemakers use 2"X72" belt grinders. The lease expensive I've found that really works is the Coote grinder. They can be purchased with various size contact wheels for between $395.00 and 475.00 plus shipping depending on the contact wheel diameter. They come without motors, which is probably an advantage from your point of view. Coote's web address is: www.cootebeltgrinder.com

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
An interesting thread, I`ve been thinking about learning knife making for a while now and I`m lucky enough to have a cellar with a workshop in so no excuses really.

Suppose I should jump over to BB and get some reading done as I don`t have the first clue where to start.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE