Ben Nevis in winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Binxie

Tenderfoot
Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

A few of my friends have been talking about doing Ben Nevis this month and sleeping at the top and it sounds like fun to me if we have the correct equipment. I've got a mountaineering sleeping bag and would bring a decent tent, thermals and probably my old skiing outer-layers if it was that bad.

Has anyone had any experience? I don't want to end up on one of these Channel 5 documentaries about search and rescue teams, lol.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm guessing that you're not a mountaineer if you're asking on here? Access to the summit is a doddle in summer but in winter Nevis is a very different beast.

Without proper training, experience and the right kit you're just asking for trouble, and you'll also be risking the lives of the volunteer rescuers if it comes to that.

I'm not being a party pooper by the way, just don't want anything to happen that could be avoided. Apologies if you're trained and kitted up and fully aware of all of the above :)

Binxie

Tenderfoot
That's what I was concerned with Shewie. I've been up Nevis a few times, both times was around May, June time. I didn't really know what to expect when the weather gets worse. I know they do proper climbing on the one side but I thought that perhaps the usual footpath was still safe. (Then again I was a little concerned that the locals jog up and down the mountain leaping from boulder to boulder as they go.)

And no Shewie, you were right to party poop - I'm not experienced at all lol

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I would agree, you'll need ice axes, crampons and experience in their use I would think, never mind all the other kit.

Silly question perhaps, but what winter climbing experience do you have?

KP

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Sounds sensible. You could always arrange a Bivi somewhere lower, or head up towards Braemar- the linn of dee or linn of Quoich have great winter camp areas.

KP

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's what I was concerned with Shewie. I've been up Nevis a few times, both times was around May, June time. I didn't really know what to expect when the weather gets worse. I know they do proper climbing on the one side but I thought that perhaps the usual footpath was still safe. (Then again I was a little concerned that the locals jog up and down the mountain leaping from boulder to boulder as they go.)

And no Shewie, you were right to party poop - I'm not experienced at all lol

In May/June you can expect high winds, sideways rain/sleet/snow and temps dipping below 0*C regularly. In winter a tent could be ripped to shreds by the winds, heavy snowfall is common, temps could be scary low and then add the wind chill and it's serious time. Even the experienced winter climbers come down from the summit and use the huts and bothies nearby.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

A few of my friends have been talking about doing Ben Nevis this month and sleeping at the top and it sounds like fun to me if we have the correct equipment. I've got a mountaineering sleeping bag and would bring a decent tent, thermals and probably my old skiing outer-layers if it was that bad.

Has anyone had any experience? I don't want to end up on one of these Channel 5 documentaries about search and rescue teams, lol.

Get some more experience of winter camping and mountaineering first is my advice. The scottish tops are evil in winter and many have died. I wouldn't consider it without snowhole building experience. The top of Ben Nevis in winter is one of the most dangerous places in europe, if not the most dangerous. You can literally be blown off it. ( the bad kind :lmao:)

Crampons, ice axes, avalanche training, ropes and self arrest training are essential if you don't want to unduly risk the emergency services lives or risk appearing on Highland rescue. This may sound over cautiuos if you haven't experienced the full winter wrath of the Highlands.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Binxie,

Shewie and Kiltedpict are right here, even the "tourist" path can be lethal in winter due to ice underfoot, avalanche conditions, lack of visibility and just downright nasty weather. It was like the two poor lads who died within yards of the Cairngorm carpark a few years back. Both experienced, just got turned around by bad weather. We all have to learn though and some are just plain lucky and survive. It's just the conditions on the top of the Ben can be so rapidly changable and sustained bad weather can be a problem. I'd get some winter skills first - even do a course or two, they're not that expensive.
Have fun,
Goatboy.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Getting off the top in bad conditions requires precise pacing measurements and a dog leg bearing to be taken to avoid the cornice and a plunge over a cliff. Best avoided if your navigation isn't up to it.

Cheers, Michael.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Was a silly question. Thank you all anyway guys.

Silly, no way! Silly would be to not ask and get into trouble. Who knows, somebody else may read this and be dissuaded from doing the same. Its easy to forget little old blightly can pack a big punch.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Binxie,

It wasn't a silly question (a questions only silly if asked twice :lmao: )

If you don't know how can you be expected to know, it's just a lot of folk, even clever experienced folk get caught out. I winter climbed for years and had some "epics", and was quite preppared to sell all my kit if I only got out alive this one more time.

TTFN Goatboy.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
None Kiltedpict. As I say, I didn't really expect the normal pathway that the tourists use to be that severe but if that kind of equipment is needed then I think Il just kill this idea off straight away.

Listen to Kiltedpict on this one ... I have been up the ben in winter and it took nearly 2..1/2 hours just to climb the last 1000 feet to the top and that was the tourist route ... not to be done by the inexperienced in bad weather ...and sometimes its hard to stand at the top in winter with the wind never mind set a tent up

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
To echo the others- definitely not a silly question... Better safe than sorry :) the truly silly folk are the ones who dont ask the questions! ;)

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
[video=youtube;3fw_XvOnpoA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fw_XvOnpoA[/video]

Carn mor dearg route is the best way up

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE