Belt System - Utility Kit & First Aid Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Finally if you are hiking any distance with a rucksack consider how your belt of pouches may interfere with the rucksack waist belt...

Thank you, I will make sure to look out for those places. We may try and squeeze in one small summit, as I said we're going to play it largely by ear - nothing too daunting, but if we bivouac from one location we might try some day hikes up to higher elevations. Funny you mention the waist belt issue, I have been thinking a lot about that. I'm going to use an idea that British Red posted for me here, going to use extra long "tactie" belt loops on my pouches so they dangle far enough to be out of the way of the backpack.

If you are traveling via Paris then all of your map needs will be met by visiting 'Au View Campeur', 2 Rue de Latran in the 'latin quarter'.

This is a camping store spread over some twenty or so shops all within a few blocks of each other, each shop specializes in a specific area, the map shop can be found near the bottom of this page.

The other shops are well worth a browse, just leave your credit card at the hotel. :D

Sounds fantastic man, shame though at the moment we're planning to get a plane direct to Biarritz so will probably miss it. I'm going to continue searching around the net for mail order maps though.

Have fun in the Pyrenees and experiment with your psk to find the good, the bad and the ugly parts in there ;-)

Having said this much/little, in all travels I never had to really use a psk. I did use them to train myself or try them. Living out of one for 4 days... just a belt kit ....

Grtz Johan

Thank you for your advice born2roam, I will think about that. You're right I do have a lot of fire redundancy, I just dread those times when it's wet and windy and all you want is a good fire but nothing you have is working.. We've all been there. As you said, one thing I found hard to incorporate was shelter, apart from the space blanket that is pretty much absent because most shelter items are bulky and too large for a belt kit that I want to always be able to carry.

Also, as you said I will be testing out my belt kit on a few hikes here before we go.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Personally I don't believe in the validity of the small PSK's (Personal Survival Kits)..

I'd rather go a tad larger (say mess tin). This gives you a true vessel for boiling water (BCB do a stainless one with a good lid!).

I've always thought the whole point of a 'Survival kit' in a small container was so that it fits almost unnoticably in a pocket. By using a mess tin, or other similar sized container, it is too big for a pocket, so you will need some sort of bag/pouch to carry it in, therefore heightening the chances of leaving it behind as it becomes cumbersome.

Having said that though, you wont get much of a brew out of a tobbacco tin! so can appreciate where you are coming from :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Basically, I wanted to pass it by some more experienced outdoorsmen and see what you think..."

You might appreciate these articles from Paul Kirtley (formerly head instructor at Ray Mears's Woodlore School)

How to Build a Survival Kit on Bushcraft Principles.

Essential Wilderness Equipment – 7 Items I Never Leave Home Without

Additionally I'm guessing that you are aware of the limitations placed on Wild Camping in France and perhaps more importantly the prohibitions that can be in place against having open fires?

The mini mess tin is really too small for keeping yourself in all the boiled water you might need if you somehow lose the rest of your kit. A crusader mug makes for a more sensible alternative and it often has a matching 58 pattern bottle inside it which I think you will find much handier. :)

You mention that you are often misplacing your firesteel? Have you considered attaching it to your knife? 'Rapidboy' on this forum makes really nice kydex sheaths for the Mora which will also hold your firesteel, if you must have a back up firesteel then pack the really small 'scout' version and snap its handle off.

mora_003-1.jpg

For some ideas for a more practically sized survival/utility kit look at this video from 'Pict' also of this forum, his neck knife PSK is very well thought out.

[video=youtube;9BwUydd2JKo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BwUydd2JKo[/video]

:)

Last edited:

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
You might appreciate these articles from Paul Kirtley (formerly head instructor at Ray Mears's Woodlore School)

How to Build a Survival Kit on Bushcraft Principles.

Essential Wilderness Equipment – 7 Items I Never Leave Home Without

Additionally I'm guessing that you are aware of the limitations placed on Wild Camping in France and perhaps more importantly the prohibitions that can be in place against having open fires?

The mini mess tin is really too small for keeping yourself in all the boiled water you might need if you somehow lose the rest of your kit. A crusader mug makes for a more sensible alternative and it often has a matching 58 pattern bottle inside it which I think you will find much handier. :)

You mention that you are often misplacing your firesteel? Have you considered attaching it to your knife? 'Rapidboy' on this forum makes really nice kydex sheaths for the Mora which will also hold your firesteel, if you must have a back up firesteel then pack the really small 'scout' version and snap its handle off.

*picture*

For some ideas for a more practically sized survival/utility kit look at this video from 'Pict' also of this forum, his neck knife PSK is very well thought out.

*video*

:)

Wow! Am I glad I made this thread. Great post sandbender, thanks. I was a little apprehensive at what reaction I might get at first, but it's sure paying off.

I had seen those links before thanks, a great resource for sure! I use a BCB crusader cook kit with bottle and all the trimmings (this one), so could strap that on my belt I guess, whenever I remove my pack at camp locations or anything.

Regarding camping in France I was under the impression that it was seen as ok as long as you didn't have a camp fire (will be using my trusty MSR pocket rocket for meals) and Spain I really don't know much about yet. In the research that I have done, it seems migrant gangs are something to watch out for and people seem to worry about them more than getting in trouble for camping. I suppose the 'arrive late, leave early' applies here as usual.

Those sheath setups look absolutely fantastic, thanks for posting them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE