Belgian Army Bivi Bag...So how do people use it????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
I've only ever ventured into the outdoors using a tent, so recently picked up a Belgian Army Bivi Bag in order to try to spend some time outside in a bivi bag under a tarp, earlier today was the first chance I've had to take a closer look.

I put my sleeping bag inside it and climbed in, so how do you secure the head flap/ envelope over your head/ face? Or do you just 'drape' the flap over your head? (Doesn't seem right.)

Any instructions/ experience of how to use this 'properly'/ in the manner it was designed for would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Steve

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
If its the piece of kit I'm thinking about then the main purpose for that flap is to hold it all together when rolled up, I certainly wouldn't be putting my head in there... As said above, I use mine as a pillow holder. Not sure this is a true bivvy bag really, I would happily sleep out in mine under a tarp when not expecting rain, but don't think I would use it in bad weather outside of a tent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
Thanks for the replies and the reference to the related thread.....

Looks like I might have bought a lemon then! (Still I am going to try it out, but perhaps when I'm not expecting heavy rain!!!) At least it was a cheap lemon!!

Many Thanks

Steve

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
If you paid the same as me you can't grumble really!! I use mine for extra warmth in my tent with my sleeping bag inside when the weathers a bit cooler.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Lay the bag out flat, with the top facing up obviously.

Roll the bag from the bottom up toward the top (the head area)

Roll the whole thing into the lightweight canvas extension

Using the provided straps/cords tie the ends closed like a parcel

Take it outside

Throw it in the skip

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
Just to close the book on this (and in case anyone else is thinking of buying one of these/ for future reference) I laid it outside in the heavy rain for 30 mins this morning. For the first 10-15 minutes it resisted the water, after that it failed (as people advised it would).

So in conclusion, I might use it under a tarp in Spring/ Summer and it would probably stand up to a light shower or two. But you certainly couldn't use it without a tarp or when expecting a lot/ heavy rain.

Ah well, as with all things the learning curve continues, not too much of an expensive lesson though.

So, the hunt continues....I'm not willing to pay the prices of the USGI MSS and I'm happy with the sleeping bags I've got so I want to get a waterproof bivi bag for about the £50 mark.

So far I've seen mixed reviews on the British Army 'condom' style bag and whilst most agree it is 100% waterproof quite a few people don't like the weight and moan about the lack of an access zip.

A lot of people like the Czech Army bedroll, I can't seem to find any reviews which confirm it is 100% waterproof though, and again (like much military kit) it is heavy, but has a zipped access and a neat head closure/ mummy style.

I don't like the idea of the 'hooped' bivis or ones that are pegged to the ground so although the SAS and Dutch Army hooped bivis get good reviews they are not for me (similarly the snugpack bivi).

I haven't yet looked at many 'civi' bags as they tend to be a lot more expensive. (Although on another BCUK forum thread the Alpkit Hunka XL got a rave review)

So could anyone from personal use recommend a waterproof (not just showerproof) bivi bag, preferably with a mummy style/ drawstring arrangement around the head available for around £50? If not, at a push for less than £100?

Any assistance/ wisdom would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Steve

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
Lay the bag out flat, with the top facing up obviously.

Roll the bag from the bottom up toward the top (the head area)

Roll the whole thing into the lightweight canvas extension

Using the provided straps/cords tie the ends closed like a parcel

Take it outside

Throw it in the skip

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Made me laugh out loud Dave, made my day! Thanks for that, any tips on what I should have bought?

Cheers
Steve

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I rate the British army one. Had mine for over 10 years and it was bought surplus so it's seen some action over the years. I got a local seamstress to put a 30" zip down the front seam, cost me £15 to get the mod done. Really makes it a lot more usable. I treat it occasionally using grangers cleaner and waterproofer. It is heavy though.
Heard some good stuff about the alpkit hunka bivvys.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> So, the hunt continues....I'm not willing to pay the prices of the USGI MSS and I'm happy with the sleeping bags I've got so I want to get a waterproof bivi bag for about the £50 mark.<<<

I picked up an 'issued but unused' USGI MSS Gore-Tex Sleeping Bag Cover (the bivy bag bit) for under £25 delivered (can't remember the retailer, sorry) which I doubt had ever been out of its placcy bag :cool: . It was just a case of being both vigilant and patient :D iirc the heads up for it was on here ~ and, as you might guess, their stock sold out pretty quickly :rofl:.

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
I got a local seamstress to put a 30" zip down the front seam, cost me £15 to get the mod done.

Many thanks for the recommendation, have you found that the addition of a zip has compromised the waterproofing to any significant/ noticeable degree? (If you only use it under a tarp then I guess it's largely irrelevant, but using it out in the open in the rain may now be an issue?)

Cheers
Steve

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Many thanks for the recommendation, have you found that the addition of a zip has compromised the waterproofing to any significant/ noticeable degree? (If you only use it under a tarp then I guess it's largely irrelevant, but using it out in the open in the rain may now be an issue?)

Cheers
Steve

Yeah its just a standard YKK zip so it will have had compromised its waterproofing, but as you say I only use it with some sort of tarp. I guess you could get a waterproof zip or maybe put some sort of storm baffle attached to it. Much easier than doing the bivvy wiggle though :).

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Yeah that's like the one I had but without the zip. The bottom was water resistant sort of, but not waterproof. The top is breathable because it's light weight cotton, or something similar. It could probbably be made water proof or water resistant to some degree using a proofer, but they are not gortex or anything similar.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Yeah that's like the one I had but without the zip. The bottom was water resistant sort of, but not waterproof. The top is breathable because it's light weight cotton, or something similar. It could probbably be made water proof or water resistant to some degree using a proofer, but they are not gortex or anything similar.

I added the zip because it was a nightmare to get in and out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE