being clean in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well Drew, i like to think of it as one of those jobs you may not like but just have to get on with it, so i just get myself down to boxers (dont want to scare any other campers), and get in the stream, have a good old wash with camping biodigradable soap (most camping shops sell it). its cold yes, but you do feel the benafit when your clothes are back on. just use a micro fibre towel to dry of, use foot powder (anti fungal stuff is best) and clean socks and underwear.

the alternative is a bowl of warm water, hands face and "bits", its obviously not as good as an all over wash, and when its cold weather you get just as cold stripping off anyway.

i have even used snow to wash with, now that was chilly...

try out differant ways and see what suits you Drew, as with knives bow drill woods etc etc, differant methods suit differant people...

regards.

chris.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
We use flannels, a bowl, soap and hot water, works fine. We've had limited success with solar showers, worked fine in Africa, and to an extent in Scotland on multi day canoe trips where the solar showers are filled and layed out on top of kit throughout the day and have plenty of time to warm. To be honest though, for the effort it takes to heat sufficient water in a billy solar showers are a bit of a gimmick.

I plan at some stage to try using a Native American steam bath, basically a sauna. A tarp over some bent willow sticks, heat some rocks, splash water over hot rocks, go outside and rinse off with cold water.

Al

I just get pickled in wood smoke and jump in a stream once a week or so depending on the temperature. I saw a documentary a few years ago and someone didn't wash for 6 weeks and she had tests before and after and there wash no harmful build up of bacteria

found a link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-477378/Six-weeks-wash-The-soapless-experiment.html

Thats cool.

To me, it's not just for hygene reasons we wash, there is a psycological side too it, you always feel better after a wash, especially a warm one and that little pick up can do a world of good, especially if the day has been difficult.

But usually I just use a few wet wipes, or a flannel and soap if im feeling extravagant ;-) .

Last edited:

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Hello! I always find it more agreeable if you can make sure your route goes past such a hot spring (not my photo but you get the idea):
537575-krafla.jpeg

If not, and if it's winter, there is always the possibility of following the advice given here (although I've not been brave enough to try the next-to-last paragraph yet): http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A855308

Regards

Beardy

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Is Pine tar soap safe to use in natural waterways?

In general it's best to avoid putting anything into a waterway, and in many places it's illegal. One person taking a bath in a river won't make any real impact but when it's thousands it starts to have noticeable impact, and now we're in the millions whole ecosystems are being damaged because everybody thinks "this little bit won't make any difference". I'd take water from the waterway, perhaps in a collapsible bowl, and carry it some distance from the water course before using it to wash. Then I'd throw it away on the ground, spreading it fairly wide (like rain) and avoiding anything that looks like e.g. an insect nest. A little soapy water used for washing presents no great problem for the soil but a lot of it will kill insects underground in nests etc. so I'd avoid just pouring the water in a big puddle.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
On a (semi-)serious note though, has anyone actually tried rolling in the snow a la http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A855308 as a way of getting clean outdoors?

I have tried it to cool down quickly from the hot pot, 30 seconds was more than enough to convince me to get back in!

To do it without the ability to instantly jump into a hot spring or sauna would seem to be quite the man test...

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Sea-to-Summit Pocket Shower is actually just a roll-top drybag with a shower head. Here's how it works: you half fill it with cold water, add hot water from your billy, roll-up the top and secure, attatch to cord/rope hoist it up on a handy branch and secure, open the valve & shower. You might want to screen the area so as not to frighten the horses! Put some greenery on the ground to keep your feet out of the mud / leaf litter (or use your foam sit-mat). They are light and pack small. Good bit of kit.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
ritual like this, hang my MSR bladder in a tree stagger out of my pit in my keks 1st clean teeth, move leaf litter and gob then cover in leaf litter (toothpaste takes ages to biodegrade in the bush), then life venture biodegradable soap squidge some in hand rub in hair under arms on face and round the old jacobs ect then turn on MSR with shower nozzle and rince it all off (cleaning keks as i go :) ) then towel drop keks and hang to dry, i then use unsented roll on or a peice of allum crystal as a deoderant TADAAAA! all ready to get dirty and smokey again! lol, takes 5 mins to do that.

Just because your out bush dont mean you have to be a grub ;) Cleanliness is next to godliness, the native americans used to pride their self on cleanliness and physical fitness good enough for them good enough for me.

A good personal admin routeen is key outdoors it keeps you feeling good and your spirits high, I cant understand these soap dodgers that leave it till they get home? its not healthy so dont do it!!!!
Then if im on expo its rivers ponds sea or lakes you cant beat a scrub down with silver birch leaves in a crystal clear swedish lake!!

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I also wash every day using:
- a plastic bag to hold water
- a small brush
- pine tar soap

The brush is really useful: very good at cleaning hands, can brush hair, spot clean clothes ...

I use cold water (I rarely make fires) and don't really mind it - it is just splashing. I don't use a towel, just shake, get clothes back on and walk. Paramo jacket worn directly on the skin is great to get dry.

I brush teeth (with a regular toothbrush but without toothpaste).

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
If for tactical reasons you are unable to wash/shower at least once a week used a damp cloth to wipe your hairy bits to remove any fungal build up. This will go some way to avoid crotch rot and I have had this and its not nice the skin comes away from small areas and becomes raw. I now try to keep as clean as possible by using wet wipes and a antibacterial towel often.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE