Beginning leatherwork

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
I would like to start making my own leatherwork, I have never made anything from leather before. Can anyone give me some guidance and direction in starting?

What is the minimum amount of tools needed to get started making something? I would like to make some pouches and belt sheaths.

How much do you think that I will need to spend to get started?

Where is the best place to buy tools and or leather?

Any good tutorials or books that I should look at?

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
New to leather work myself, so iv made some stupid mistakes but.

I would suggest the minimum i would like to do leather work is
Pen, Paper, cardboard, craft knife, drill with drill bit, glue (gorilla glue), needle and thread and gloves if you plan on dying anything.

Iv only made a couple of sheaths so far tho, so feel free to say im wrong.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
New to leather work myself, so iv made some stupid mistakes but.

I would suggest the minimum i would like to do leather work is
Pen, Paper, cardboard, craft knife, drill with drill bit, glue (gorilla glue), needle and thread and gloves if you plan on dying anything.

Iv only made a couple of sheaths so far tho, so feel free to say im wrong.

You're wrong... Well you did say to say it. :lmao:

The list you've gievn is about right I'd say, you coukld add all sorts of expensive items, but I'm betting most things can be cobbled together from other tools and work almost as well. One thing I would say you'd need and that's a natural aptitude for making things AND using tools. It;s all well and good wanting to make the stuff but if you don't have a clue to start off with you'll find it heavy going.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask advice. There are some good tutorials not only here but over at the Birtish Blades forum in the leatherwork section. I haunted that place for days reading and trying to absorb the stuff.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Iv tried an awl with little success, what awl would you recommend?

As with knives, awls need to be sharpened and stropped to be efficient at their task. Keep on top of them and you reduce friction ~ the less effort you need to use, the less likely you are to seriously poke yourself* when it 'suddenly' passes through the leather.

* some people work into a cork backing.

I

IBrown

I started about a month ago.
I looked at Tandy's starter set, but decided that the basics I need is a piece of leather , thread and a needle. I made a stitch marker/Awl by sharpening a 4 prong fork, picked up from the charity shop. Leather came from a pair of shoes and a handbag also from the charity shop for pennies. I bought a needle and linen thread from a wool shop for a couple of quid. Already had PVA glue to hold things together while sewing.
I have made a draw string bag, a holder for my daughters itouch and a brew kit bag. Once you decide what type of leathercraft you want to do then buy the right tools for the job.
Once I decided that I wanted to work with soft leather I knew what tools I will need.

I went to visit Tandy's warehouse last week and they are very helpful. They also do free lessons on Saturday mornings. Give them a ring and discuss your needs.
Hope that helps
Ian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE