Beginner's Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tyrcian

Feb 7, 2006
Guisborough, Cleveland
After seeing some of the Ray Mears programs on TV I thought "I want to do that!".
However being a 17 year old student has its financial limits so I was wondering what the essentials were for starting out in bushcraft. Any courses that are good near the North East of England? What equipment is good to start off with? I'm thinking about taking a course at the woodsmoke bushcraft course in the Lake District(http://www.woodsmoke.uk.com/) Please help me out here :)
Cheers

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
I can only suggest that you start reading some of the threads here and trawl through pages of information.
It's quite addictive and all the information you require is here. :)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
HI mate welcome to the forum! :)

There are plenty of books you can read, ray mears has a few out. Check on amazon! But the best thing you can do is get out with someone who can teach you so either get along to one of the meets (Check out the meetup and social chatter forum) or get on a course. The courses here look good www.woodlandsurvivalcrafts.com and I will hopefully do the Woodland survival course in June. There are plenty of other schools out there aswell such as www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk. Ray mear's school www.raymears.com and also www.tamarackbushcraft.co.uk which is in Lancashire !

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
HI tyrican, I'm probably going to be writing an article soon for beginners, especially aimed at the younger audience, so watch this space.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
You can’t really go wrong with woodsmoke, Lisa and Ben are superb instructors who not only have an excellent knowledge of their subject but also the ability to teach in such a way that the information feels as if it is absorbed rather than learnt.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Another way is to get yourself along to a meetup i your area, meetup with like minded people and the cost will be minimal. Learning is slower and none intensive but its a very good way to start if money is at a premium.

Y

yowee

A few years ago I was in a similar position, so I looked a rays site but as always he was fully booked but THEY suggested Woodsmoke as Ben and Lisa both used to be instructors for Ray, so I went and did thier woodlander course I was blown away, they are simply excellent, everything brilliantly explained with patience and humour, so good that I have done at least 1 course every year since (for 5 years), I doubt I could endorse them strongly enough. Book it you won't regret it!!!!!! :lmao:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
thats easy, most good schools will supply you with a frosts clipper or similar as part of the course fees.

there really isnt any need to get a better knife unless you want a prettier one.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Although I don't know about their course (as I have never been on it) I do know Ben and Lisa from when they went to art colege with my girlfriend and they are both really nice and aproachable people.

I am sure you wont be let down by them :)

Scott.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ScottC said:
HI tyrican, I'm probably going to be writing an article soon for beginners, especially aimed at the younger audience, so watch this space.
i would love to see this happen
leon

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
If your good at learning from I books I would recommend Ray Mears' Essential Bushcraft, its the first book I bought and I am still learning from it.
I really teaches you the essential bushcraft but not just individual things you learn, it teaches you to adapt and apply the skills in all kinds of situations.
I really do love it and couldn't give it a higher reccomendation.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i have just bought essential bushcraft and have only read up to the water chapter but my first immpressions are that its a great book
leon

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
tyrcian said:
After seeing some of the Ray Mears programs on TV I thought "I want to do that!".
However being a 17 year old student has its financial limits so I was wondering what the essentials were for starting out in bushcraft.
My take on this Tyrcian is that the essentials to bushcraft are trying it out, make do, adapt what is available. I had a penknife from years ago, also a sleeping bag. I borrowed a rucksack and a tent. I got into the completely free world of friction fire in a big way. I finally succumbed to buying a hammock, a steel striker and a fire piston (thanks Magickelly and Jeff Wagner).

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
Hi tyrcian,
In a way we are all beginers. Even RM. :D
Because we don't need to rely on these skills in everyday life they are a hoby for us. We can all learn something from others. I know I did at this years Moot.
Anything you learn is of value.
I don't know about the value of any of the courses run. However the guys at Dryad Bushcraft were great.
If you are interested in wild plants and food then try Marcus at www.countrylovers.co.uk/wfs he is a wonderful guy.

Geoff

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Hi Tyrcian, My guess is that you already have the most important thing you need to get the most out of the outdoors life... the will to get out there and enjoy it !

Armed with a willingness to learn, a good comfy pair of boots, a coat and perhaps as little as a Swiss Army Knife you well equipped to get out and explore the possibilities. If you want a cheap fixed blade knife that will give a level of service far in excess of it's price, go for the Frosts Mora. Mors Kochanski still seems to use nothing but these little knives and he has probably forgotten more about the art of bushcraft than the rest of us will ever know. "Posher" knives will come into your life, but leave the spending money where it is for now until you know exactly what you want from a more expensive blade.

Overnight trips will of course require things like sleeping bag, tarp, hammock or kip-mat and cooking/eating kit.
See if you can meet up with others from the forum in your area and natter to them as you all have a wander in the woods. You'll pick up more useful info that way and you'll get to meet new friends too. (Check out the Meet ups bit of the forum, down by the bottom of the list page)

Welcome to the club !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE