beginner multifuel stove advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
The consensus on the CCS forum is that these DO NOT burn kero/paraffin efficiently.

I'd estimate mine has now had a total burn time of over 200hours, and has done so for the most part on straight unleaded without issue, and occasional diesel mixed with unleaded or whatevers to hand.

No problems so far to speak of.

I know that some people may feel otherwise, but I can only report as I find.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I use a primus model 8 at the moment (technically not multifuel, designed for paraffin only but runs fine on diesel)

I would love to get hold of a primus gravity II mf which runs on practically anything flammable including gas, petrol. Paraffin.... You just have to pick the right jet for the fuel (otherwise it will work but be very inefficient and probably quite sooty)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Just ordered myself a multifuel coleman 550b exponent from america.
.its apparently what is issued to US military.

Will post some pics when it arrives

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
I now use a Coleman 442 and I love it, It's very easy to use . . . . I used to use a Sportster 533, but I got bought a 442 ( which is very similar really ) and I can really recommend either of these.
I use my stove every other weekend, mostly two nights out (carp fishing) and I drink lots of tea through the day, I bet over the weekend it boils 5 to 7 litres of water, does two fry ups and an evening meal as well.
I've never had any trouble with either of the Coleman's . . . . . I've always used unleaded . . . although I do add a tiny squirt of Redex every now and again. . ..
I also use a Coleman double burner, same there, at least 6 years old, only use unleaded in it, bit of Redex . . . never any problems.
I've also got a Primus multifuel which I do like, but . . . . priming is a bit tedious/smelly and it's quite noisy. . . . at the side of the coleman it gets left at home alot, but I guess it's horses for courses.
The 550 looks like a 442 with different legs, you'll be fine . . .

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Theo the US vesion is very similar to the dutch, don't think it has a extra fuel bottle though. Should be here in about a week so i will pop some pics up then.

I went with the 550b due to the fact that it was a multifuel stove and if it was issued to military it has to be pretty bombproof!

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
Theo the US vesion is very similar to the dutch, don't think it has a extra fuel bottle though. Should be here in about a week so i will pop some pics up then.

I went with the 550b due to the fact that it was a multifuel stove and if it was issued to military it has to be pretty bombproof!

That's the mean reason to buy me one!
I'm sure you'll never regret it.

Greetings Theo.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Oh well, that's my offer been accepted- delivery in 13-25 days! I'll take that for £35 plus £1 delivery from Hong Kong :)

Stove arrived on Saturday, picked up from post office just now.

First impressions- very well made, surprisingly light burner. Fuel bottle a little too orange for me (clashes with the beard and hair!) but has a metal pump.

Will try it out this evening.... can't wait :)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Well, that was a lot of fun! Giant fire ball and then a jet engine!

Really happy with this purchase, although would love to know of there is a safe way of depressurising the bottle after use?

Stuart

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it! :campfire: :)

Really happy with this purchase, although would love to know of there is a safe way of depressurising the bottle after use?

Never seen one. Does it say anything about it in the instructions? :)

Unless it's for long term storage or transport I don't usually bother depressurising my pressure stoves. The exception is the Nova, which has that clever little turn-the-bottle-over trick. I bet if you turn your stove over it will pump air out of the burner instead of fuel. Of course I don't know if that's safe. :)

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Stuart

You can de pressurise. On the pump you have the metal tube and the plastic fuel line. Very very gently bend the fuel line away from the pump, maybe 30 degrees...don't break it.

When you have finished cooking carefully turn the fuel bottle over 180 degrees this puts the fuel pipe into the air in the fuel bottle, fuel in the line burns off and the pressure in the bottle drops. Same sort of thing with the Nova or Omnifuel; job done.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I just unscrew the pump slowly. Best to do it again the next time you use the stove too otherwise you'll make a mess when you screw the burner on

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE