Beer-making 'boiler'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
Maybe this should be in the preppers thread since home-brew would be an essential post-apocalypse provision...

After changing to an induction hob the original pot no longer works. I was wondering about replacing with one that has its own heating element (though it will be no good in the post-apocalyptic scenario) as it may be easier to control temperature, and it can be relegated to the shed so the house no longer smells of hops on brew day...

Does anyone have any experience of these?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Can you not put a steel plate in the bottom of the original pot? Your induction hob should be able to heat that. It would need to be stainless or you'll affect the way the beer tastes - obviously don't do this if the hob manufacturer recommends against it.

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
Afraid not since we ebayed the original pot! Unfortunate if it could have been made to work, but I'm seeing the silver lining to the situation which is getting the steamy process out of the kitchen :)

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
I'm not sure where I'd have got a stainless steel plate in any case! That would have been my next question...

However, it has gone and since I've not found a giant induction friendly pot, never mind one with a tap at the bottom, I am really liking this, unless people advise against http://www.klarstein.co.uk/Kitchen-...-walled.html?gclid=CP3LktadltACFQML0wodV5YNrw. Pricey indeed, but I am still looking for the perfect present and this would surely be it!

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
This instructable requires sharp things, spinney things and cutty things. Please be careful at all times. The 'golden rule' of homebrew - "always drink a homebrew when doing anything to do with homebrew" - should not be observed if you are going to use any of the above mentioned spinney/sharp/cutty things.

:rofl:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Why not get a pot of the required size, fit a tap close to the bottom ( if you really need a tap!)
Use a hotplate or, even more prepperstyle/ bushcraft style, standing on a tripod on a fire?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE