Been given some archery equipment

• Thread starter Deleted member 4605
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

My extremely generous father-in-law tonight gave three bows, numerous arrows and some device I can't recognise.

One bow is wooden 5'3", made by Slazengers and is strung.

The other two are metal (as far as I can tell) and be split into two pieces. No strings.

The arrows are mostly metal with a few wooden ones. Most of the fletchings are in reasonable condition, but a few need refletched.

Time to take up archery I guess!

I'll get some pictures sorted tomorrow to see if anyone can help identify them.

Now to source some strings, fletchings and a clue about what I'm doing!

pataviking

Feb 21, 2007
ozarks, U S A
quick temporauy fletching can be improvovised from duct tape
take 2 or 3 pieces of tape place the middle of the tape on the shaft and roll it around the shaft till it meets another piece of tape and stick them together, look at other arrows to see how to place fletch relative to knock so bow frame does not tear off fletching when shot
oh by the way trim the tape with scissors in the shape of fletching
i saw this on the web somewhere i don't remember but it works great

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Be very careful with the metal bows especially.

My guess is they are Accles and Pollock and probably 50's vintage. Their names were all birds of prey. I have a merlin. A&P were best known for bicycle frames.

Unfortunately they suffer from fatigue, fractures and internal rust and are prone to flying apart without any warning. If the top limb snaps the damage you could do to your head is making me wince. I've had a wooden bow snap and 9" hit me in the moddle of the forehead. I still have the scar just under the hair line. A pal of mine wasn't so lucky and caught the limb in his mouth. Messy. Broken bottom limbs are almost as bad. I'll let you use your imagination... :puppy_dog

If you look at archers in the 50's with metal bows in competition thet are wearing odd peaked caps. THe peak was reiforced to deflect flying bits of metal so I'm told. They were also know to wear a cricket box.

I still shoot my A&P but I pull it up very carefully on my tiller a few times each time it comes out of the box.

Similarly with the slazenger. It's a very short bow my gess is for a 26" draw. And if it has been up in the attic for a while pull it up very carefully in easy stages. Do at least 100 'reverses' (draw it up and let it down) on the way to full draw.

And if you can get hold of a hard hat - wear it!

Lovely collection though.

Could the unknown object be a ground quiver? Post a picture and let us make some guesses.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Sounds like you have a good start to a collection, but be very carefull with them.
The metal bow's could be made by accles and pollack, these were a Birmingham based company who made very good copies of a Sweedish bow called a Ceefab, and although tey were very good they were prone to breaking about 6 inches above the handle and the top limb would do some serious damage to the head, some people attached a sight to the top limb with a small screw and this is where they break, They also made some aluminum arrows which were ok at the time I have over 50 bows in my collection and I do not shoot either the metal bows or the Slazzy's, I had 1 break at full draw once and mine now hang on the wall, anyway take up the sport it is great,after 30 years I am still very hooked on it.
I guess bent-stick is also.

D

Deleted member 4605

The entire collection:

The boxed arrows are metal, and all but one of the loose ones are wood.

Close up of the metal bows, which are A&P Merlins:

Close up of the Slazenger. The numbers marked below the handle are 24lbs, 5'3", 25" and 20":

The unidentified object:

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi Schwuk
The picture is a bow stand or sometimes called a ground quiver, The pointed end sticks into the ground and the bow sits on the top with the arrows going down through the slot and standing on the ground.
These are still quite popular today in some clubs.
Any other questions please ask.

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
I use a ground quiver when were shooting outside as it doesnt tend to fall over on un-even ground as my indoor stand does. Yeah mate I woudl be carefull about using old bows, if they snap it could do quite a bit of damage especially if you over draw it, it may be worth taking it to your local archery club and asking if they could check them out for you and see if they think there in useable condition. Oh dont keep the slazenger strung as it will damage it.

D

Deleted member 4605

waylander said:
Oh dont keep the slazenger strung as it will damage it.

As it had been stored unstrung, I've been keeping it like this.

Not tried the metal bows (not do I intend to until they've been checked) but the Slazenger seems to be fine although I've been careful about building it up to full draw.

Inspired by Stovie and the nice weather I've just been outside to 'play'. Initially it was just getting a feel for the bow and general technique, then a bit of target practice which I was extremely pleased with (near misses rather than nowhere near the target :) ).

Thoroughly enjoying yet another new hobby!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE