Been bushcrafting this weekend....? ? ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey All,

I've been enjoying the nice weather as I'm sure most of you have and I don't think my dog's ever been so well walked. We went tracking in the local woods too...only having paws the size of my hands Samson had a habit of walking all over the prints I was studying!!!! :rolleyes:

While I was out I collected a few bits and bobs and using the ideas I learned in Sweden on the Vildmark course I had a bash at the following:

bush003.jpg

This is a pot hanger, simple to make and looks good too, it's hard to find a branch where the shoots go out in opposite directions to hang up so here's how to make one.

bush004.jpg

bush005.jpg

The two ends are angled and the peg in the middle opens the two sticks so that the ends bite in and hold together....works really well.

Then I had a bash at some birchbark work....

bush007.jpg

Made a match case:

bush009.jpg

I was quite pleased with this for southern UK birch bark.

and I then got a little more adventurous and had a bash at a coffee container:

bush010.jpg

bush011.jpg

All the bark is held together by how it's constructed with just a little Pine Resin and Charcoal glue :D

I also put some leather thonging round my walking staff so I have plenty to use for bow drilling:
bush012.jpg

Finally got round to drilling one of the Elk's tooth from the skull I found with Tenbears in Sweden and put it on my Kuksa:
bush014.jpg

And lastly, having bought a lovely soft Reindear skin in Norway I wanted to see if I could silicon it myself....so I practiced on a little Meirkat (or however you spell it) skin I had laying around from when I made a pair of slippers.

bush002.jpg

I used normal bathroom clear sealant as you can see and it worked really well...so I'll be doing the Reindear skin next :D

So.....what did everyone else get up to this weekend? ? ?

Bam. :D

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I was looking after my 8 year old sister so taught her how to lay a fire and start it with birch bark and a knife and firesteel. Then we practiced playing my tin whistle (she's much better than me) until one of the neighbours put a for sale sign up outside. I'm not saying it was related but....

Nice match case BTW - I was watching RM do it on the bushcaft DVD and was a bit dissapointed that he used glue from a tube. Resin sounds much better.

Hi Bam!

I spent most of the weekend exploring a local woods i haven't been to before (don't know why as it's about a five minute walk away)
I was really happy to find a nine metre fallen birch with some decent looking bark on it! :D
I also found lots of fallen wood that was a good size and shape for carving - so i'll be back with my saw no doubt :rolleyes:

Nobody goes there either - so i had the place to myself :eek:

Neil

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Sweet!! I really like that coffee container Bam! Very creative with those letters on it :D
Had a good look at that pot hanger ... why 2 pieces of wood? Ok as you said: "(..)it's hard to find a branch where the shoots go out in opposite directions to hang up (...)" - you lost me ...
Why don't use a simple stick and cut it as in RM's Bushcraft (Ok, there are several ways to Rome) ... And: doesn't the wedge fall into your soup? ;) :eek:

Nice garden BTW :D

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Spent Saturday buying a birthday present for my wife and getting the last few pieces for our first camping trip next weeked.

She picked up a wonderful 40ltr Berghuas pack which really comfortable and have been given to permision to use for time to time if need it. ;)

Hope the weather hold up until next weekend would make things alot easier.

James

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well I discovered the joys of getting very heavy objects into the back of a landrover, and how such a big vehicle can have soooo little legroom ! aswell as emtying the contents of my bank account into the fuel tank.
Then sunday was spent teaching 30 Girl Guides the joys of open canoeing. :eek:
Cheers
Rich

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
raskusdrotti said:
Hi Bam!

I spent most of the weekend exploring a local woods i haven't been to before (don't know why as it's about a five minute walk away)
I was really happy to find a nine metre fallen birch with some decent looking bark on it! :D
I also found lots of fallen wood that was a good size and shape for carving - so i'll be back with my saw no doubt :rolleyes:

Nobody goes there either - so i had the place to myself :eek:

Neil

Cool as Matey....lucky you! The woods I go to is open to everyone so theres lots of dog walkers and a little bit of litter but I have so much MoD land here to I can walk for miles without seeing anyone.

Where abouts in Hampshire are you? I'm on the Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire boarder.

Bam.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ahjno said:
Sweet!! I really like that coffee container Bam! Very creative with those letters on it :D
Had a good look at that pot hanger ... why 2 pieces of wood? Ok as you said: "(..)it's hard to find a branch where the shoots go out in opposite directions to hang up (...)" - you lost me ...
Why don't use a simple stick and cut it as in RM's Bushcraft (Ok, there are several ways to Rome) ... And: doesn't the wedge fall into your soup? ;) :eek:

Nice garden BTW :D

Thanks Mate, I'm dead chuffed with the coffee container too..lol :D

As for the pot hanger...as you say, it's just another way of doing something and kills a bit of time. The wedge stays in place perfectly and holds the other two sticks apart... have a go at making one :) You can hang anything on it...not just pots!
Wifey does the garden...I cut the lawn ;)

Stu... that sounds like a great way to use a weekend, I love Thetford Forest, I went to college up near there so used to play there a lot :D

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Very nice Bam you flash bugger. Letters on the coffee tub :D How think was the bark do you think you will get 40 years of use out of it?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tenbears10 said:
Very nice Bam you flash bugger. Letters on the coffee tub :D How think was the bark do you think you will get 40 years of use out of it?

Thicker than I expected of southern uk bark actually Matey...but not as thick as the stuff we collected in Sweden...oh and I must have cut out countless "E" and "F"'s before I got one that didn't pull apart on the last cut!!!!!

As for the fourty year test.... I'll let you know in about 2045 lol :D

If you are coming over in a couple of weeks to crash up at my local woods with Shinobi and Squidders (I haven't actually asked either of them yet!!! :eek: ) then I'll show you were to collect some. :)

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Excellent stuff Phil - can I copy the pictures to Preben --- show him he's created a monster!! lol!

What did you do with the swedish bark?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Gary said:
Excellent stuff Phil - can I copy the pictures to Preben --- show him he's created a monster!! lol!

What did you do with the swedish bark?

Really? I'd be honoured if you sent them to him :D (Cheshire Cat grin is back!). My joints aren't anywhere near as good as his but I've been studying the photos I took of his containers and will be having a go at that...

Here's what the joints on the coffee container look like and one with both together to show a bit of scale:

bush16.jpg

bush15.jpg

I still have the Swedish bark all rolled up safely... once I've made a few more bits and bobs from the bark I can collect myself to get my practice in then I'lll make something really nice (hopefully) out of the better quality Swedish stuff :D

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cool as mate.

Preben will be cuffed you tried mate - and I will tell him I'll copy him a picture of the ones made from Swedish bark too - so no pressure! ;)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tomtom said:
bam how does the hide preform now you have treated it? is it still nice a flexi?

good work all round by the way!

Cheers Tom :D

I only did it yesterday and the tube says it takes up to 72hours to dry but apart from being very slightly tacky still, the skin is tip top... because it's silicon sealant it flexes with the skin and as I chose the clear stuff you'd hardly know it was there......but when used on the ground as a sleeping or sitting mat it's going to be much more waterproof and so suitable for the British weather! lol ;)
I got the idea off the Silicon reindear skins Gary sells and as I'd bought mine from Norway untreated (tanned and everything just not siliconed) I thought I'd give it a go. This little skin was the tester and it's worked so well that I'll be doign the big reindear skin next.
Me and some mates are planning (or trying to plan) an 1800's weekend in the woods when everything you have with you has to be from that eara....so no thermarests or foam kipmats...hence the reindear skin :D

(You should see the leather loin cloth I'm working on!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :D )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE