Beekeeping Newbie - HELP...!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I’ve always wanted to have bees so I’ve just started a beginners’ beekeeping course (5 weeks in total) and if I am truthful, I’m terrified!

Not scared at all of the bees but at how controlled beekeeping seems to be and the sheer amount of knowledge you need and how much can go wrong. I won’t be able to have my own colony this year as we’re moving house and I’m saving up for all the kit involved. Hopefully I’ll be able to help an advanced keeper out this year to gain some practical experience.

What advice can you experienced beekeepers offer me? Is it hard graft managing a colony? Is it a really scientific past time rather than a traditional “nature based” one? Is it going to cost an arm and a leg to set up?

Help – I’m feeling a little intimidated and worried I won’t make the grade.................hc

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Where is your course to?? I start one tomorrow so I wonder if we should keep in touch as reasonably local.

An experienced hand has suggested I get two Books , I can chcuk up the details if you like.

Dont worry.

Where is your course to?? I start one tomorrow so I wonder if we should keep in touch as reasonably local.

An experienced hand has suggested I get two Books , I can chcuk up the details if you like.

Dont worry.

I'm doing it in Chilcompton near Radstock/Midsomer Norton. Done the 1st of 5 night classes. Thanks I would appreciate any recommendations. Good luck tomorrow......hc

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
there's a beekeeping forum i forget the exact name but if you search beekeeping forum on google you'll find it

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I used to keep bees and really loved it. Substitute fear with being careful and you will be fine. Once you get in there you'll love it. How many hives will you have?

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Most of my mistakes are from trying to do too much, rather than from not doing enough. If in doubt, just let the bees be bees, they know more about it than you can learn. My hives are buried in snow right now, I'm hoping for a warm enough day to pop the tops off and see if they're still alive.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I did a 2-day course last year, but bottled out of filling a hive... my advice based on that is buy nothing until you actually need it. Also, find someone local (hopefully through the course) who can help and advise. My biggest concern was being away on business when we get a swarm, and having nobody on call who can help.

Tobes

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
We, Wife and me , have just started a 10 week course in Cornwall, the first lesson was on Tuesday evening. I'm quite interested in natural top bar hives, but I'll hang fire a few weeks before I introduce such heresy into the group ;-)

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Always wanted to keep bee's, just for a supply of honey for my mead making.

I have looked at various hives and they are quite expensive, haven't yet found a course or a local bee keeper close to me. The joys of living in a busy city i guess.

Good Luck on your course Heltor, and keep us posted.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I've had bees a few years now and would agree with Oblio13 that it's too easy to mess with your colonies too much. I take a pretty relaxed approach to my apiary now.

Join your local beekeepers association as you'll help and advice, but they'll also be a source of second hand kit and people who'll share honey extracting kit, which is hideously expensive!

Some folks make keeping bees ridiculously complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

Good luck and have fun! It's very satisfying, I guarantee your first year will see you spending a lot of time sat near the entrance to your hive watching bees!

Al

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
How did I forget about this thread?.....

I'm planningh NOT too rush in at all , at least 1 year just pottering around following a local mentor or two , reading enough to learn but not enough to confuse, and as said just let the Bee's get on with it...

Good Luck- Relax!! Its a Natural Thing!!

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Snarf where abouts in Brum are you? There is a large and active beekeeping association in Sutton Coldfield which may not be a million miles from you. This link "http://www.britishbee.org.uk/local_associations_about_us.php" has a list of local beekeeping associations so you should be able to find one reasonably close. Even if they don't advertise a formal course most associations offer loads of support and training for beginners. Plus you get insurance as part of your membership.

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Snarf where abouts in Brum are you? There is a large and active beekeeping association in Sutton Coldfield which may not be a million miles from you. This link "http://www.britishbee.org.uk/local_associations_about_us.php" has a list of local beekeeping associations so you should be able to find one reasonably close. Even if they don't advertise a formal course most associations offer loads of support and training for beginners. Plus you get insurance as part of your membership.

Cheers Chris,

After my post i started looking around n found this one, its not to far from my work (and ill be moving into the Erdington Area soon)
so cheers for the heads up! will drop them an email soon, need to see if i can keep an aipery at the potential new abode and get lots of info.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Oh I nearly forgot TeeDee and HeltorChasca welcome to the beekeeping world. I would echo what others have said about not messing about with the bees too much. It only makes the bees narky opening the hive up all the time. I work on the basis of 'what is the absolute minimum I need to do to limit any chance of them swarming?' and don't disturb them any more than that. I find it a really relaxing hobby so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ok, quick question , during a week , how often do you attend your Hive? Once a week? 7 times a week more /less ?? How intensive is care?? I'm thinking about those Hives that may be located away from where you live etc??

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Ok, quick question , during a week , how often do you attend your Hive? Once a week? 7 times a week more /less ?? How intensive is care?? I'm thinking about those Hives that may be located away from where you live etc??

If you follow standard swarm inspections then from late April to mid June inspect once a week. That's the most intensive you really need to be.

Al

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I use Warre hives, and only open them twice a year.

Wow!! Its still very early days in my learning of all things 'Bee' , So the rest of the year apart from those two periods you are completely hands off??? If so, amazing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE