beef cuts for stew

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
I go for shoulder steak, dont know if it is the best but has plenty flavour and is tender when cooked long and slow.

Regards,
Cal

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
2lb rump to 1lb of shoulder. I can vouch for this type of stewing steak as I am a qualified fat barsteward.

Just don,t cut and bake those bloody cardboard strips of pastry then put it on top of the stew looking like a big plook, get an ashet and make a real desperate dan pie.

cheers phil

Last edited:

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
why would you pollute good meat with nuke-castle brown ale? its vile!
interestingly enough does anyone know a butcher who stocks shin and skirt? not much call for things like that today people only know some cuts, i mean barely anyone asks for pork belly or scrag end anymore.
oddly you can get tongue tho.

yer reet the broon is pish water now but in the past it made a nice nutty flavoured stock once the alcohol burned off !:)

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
2lb rump to 1lb of shoulder. I can vouch for this type of stewing steak as I am a qualified fat barsteward.

Just don,t cut and bake those bloody cardboard strips of pastry then put it on top of the stew looking like a big plook, get an ashet and make a real desperate dan pan.

cheers phil

2 poond of rump ? r ye a secret millionaire or somthing ? :rolleyes:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
interestingly enough does anyone know a butcher who stocks shin and skirt? not much call for things like that today people only know some cuts, i mean barely anyone asks for pork belly or scrag end anymore.
oddly you can get tongue tho.

sainsbury's do. It's it's their value beef line. Seems to contain mostly the cheap cuts, makes excellent stew fodder.. I tend to choose the packs with the bigger lumps as, has already been mentioned, it tends to break down a bit and it's nice to have some bigger pieces of meat there.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well that chunk of brisket went down a treat at the weekend.

Softened up some onions, threw in the diced brisket, added the veg, three stocks cubes and enough water to cover. Chucked in half a can of stout and some broccoli later on too. A long three hours later and it was just lovely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE