beef cuts for stew

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
i find it dosent realy matter what cut of meat i use as i cook my stews for 4-5 hours on a low simmer witch give the meat a chance to break down no matter how tough it might be. hope this helps

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Braising or stewing steak are the standard 'quality' cuts, but something like shin or skirt will be cheaper, but still good if cooked for a long time.

Geoff

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Thought I would share this with you, my fav casserole recipe courtesy of my Nan

Couple of pound of prime braising steak, remove all of the fat and gristle and cube
Finely chop a med to large onion
Chop a couple of carrots crossways (i.e. into discs)
Heaped handful of peas

Add all of the above to a casserole dish or oven proof pot with a lid, make sure it’s fairly big

Crumble two oxo cubes into the pot and add a pinch of dried herbs, pinch of pepper and salt
Splash of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
Add a can of ale or stout (optional)
And cover with water (I normally pour boiling water on to save a little time), make sure the ingredients are swimming in the pot you don’t want it too thick (its casserole not stew) (I always end up with a lot of grave left over but I freeze it for later)

put the pot in an oven at 190DegC for 6 or more hours (I use a slow cooker mainly, if you stick it on a time you can wake to this amazing smell) keep checking that it has not dried out or reduced too much, taste and add a teaspoon of Bovril if required, if the gravy is a little thin add some gravy granules but not too much

an hour before serving add a strained tin of butter beans and peel your spuds, get the spuds on the boil (or steam) to be ready for service time

30 mins before serving time add dumplings

No matter how much I make it always seems to be eaten, it can be frozen though, cook enough spuds and dumplings to be frozen with it

Enjoy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
1 kg Shin, or cheek. slow cooked after being soaked in a bottle of wine or good beer over night with a couple of minced cloves of garlic and a spoon of ginger. two whole chilli's and a half pint of veg stock, cook in a dutch oven with a well fitting lid for at least three hours on a low heat, or in a slow cooker for 8 hours on low. Add some noodles two hours before the finish. and you've a hearty meal for 4.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
shin or skirt. No point using anything else, as these are the tastiest parts of the moo cow, just they need a long, slow cook to be edible. Will be even better if you cook it the day before, leave overnight then eat the next day. Delia's beef in beer if to die for. Another good thing for beef, if you can find it, is mushroom ketchup (the supermarkets sell it, but it takes some finding). Really adds to the richness of the stew.

Gah, I want beef stew now, but we're running down the storecupboard for moving next week.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Last edited:

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Aye hough for me to ! broon it off take out ad a couple of chopped onions and a few diced carrots and slightly broon them too add beef stock made of 1 bovril cube 1 tablespoon of gravy granual'1 tablespoon of english mustard powder and 1 table spoon of woucster sauce bring to the boil add a fresh herb faggot and some black pepper and simmer for 3-4 hours on the lowest gas ring ! i used to use broon ale but its not made up here any more so begger that ! lol :nono::nono:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i used to use broon ale but its not made up here any more so begger that ! lol :nono::nono:

why would you pollute good meat with nuke-castle brown ale? its vile!
interestingly enough does anyone know a butcher who stocks shin and skirt? not much call for things like that today people only know some cuts, i mean barely anyone asks for pork belly or scrag end anymore.
oddly you can get tongue tho.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
depends if you want cheaper and slightly tougher, or more expensive and tender. As a poor student, I use skirt meat from the butcher, which was pretty cheap. Or just those boxes of pre cut stewing steak if it was from the supermarket.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Shin is great but disapears some what,so shin in longest cooking then part way through cooking some nice chunks of some et else
like braising steak d

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE