Beech Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Made a small serving spoon out of some Beech that was at the bottom of the wood pile, was tough going, but worth it.

The spoon is pictured resting on the opposing half of the log that bore it, and out of which im hoping i will be able to get an eating spoon at the very least.

DSCN6075.jpg

side view

DSCN6084.jpg

The spoon was completed with a fine tooled finish and then oiled with pure Tung oil to protect the spoon from food acids and to really make the grain patterns pop.

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Lovely grain pattern and tooled finish Kepis mate, just looking at the other half of the log you can see that it is dry and hard going if worked.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Excellent as usual. I'm just getting the hang of the simple oval bowl shape, never mind something with lovely edges like this one.

Beech is such an under-rated wood.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You certainly know how to get the tooled finish spot on! That's a very nice spoon indeed............atb mac

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hi Mark,

That one is jaw-droppingly good. Did the crank in the side profile come from the log, or is there a technique for getting that shape?

Dave

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks for the comments guys - appreciate it.

@Harvestman - You are spot on Beech is very under rated, i love using the stuff, even the 'standard' grain is incredible.

@Red - cheers mate, going to see what the other half of the log produces later.:)

@MartiniDave, the spoon came from a straight log, i carved the crank in with the axe, it's fairly easy to do, i made a short video last week while i was up in my woods that shows the technique i use to do it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n43pTlDQUaw, it may not be the best way, but it's the way that works for me.:).

You do have be careful of the large amount of end grain in the handle when using this technique though, if you study the side elevation pic above you will see the grain running from the back of the handle to the front surface, but, as the grain is long in relation to the thickness of the handle it's retains strength, not as much as using a cranked branch, where the grain follows the shape of the spoon, but it's still strong.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE