Beech leaves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
I was reading about how Beech leaves make a good ingredient in a wild salad,
so yesterday morning whilst out and about I thought I'd give one a munch and see, well to be honest it didnt taste of anything much and had a rather plastic texture, so the question is am I missing something such as, is it the wrong time of year? or is it an aquired taste?
I'd be most grateful for any insight on this as I'm trying hard to brush up on and increase my foraging knowledge.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Smudge it is the wrong time of year - the beech leaf is at its best in the spring when the leaves are a bright green - thats the time to try them.

This time of year they contain an deadly poison - the tiniest amount is lethal and takes 72 hours to take effect!

Only joking!

But the young lime green ones are the tasty treats.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
:banghead: Nearly had to change my underwear (thankfully im a quick reader)
Thanx for the prompt reply I'll try them again next year, in the mean time I'll hit the books for seasonal foodstuffs.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
At this time of year they are a horrible dry munch ... yuk!!! Spring to early summer is best.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Same advice goes for Hawthorne leaves, they're not too bad in the spring....although some of the tasty descriptions I've heard tell of them may be a bit misleading!

Lime leaves as well!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Yep,
Hawthorn better than beach in my book, lovely green apple skin taste to both though and the real shame is its only a few weeks a year that they are good. Any other tree leaves anyone?
Cheers
David

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
dtalbot said:
Yep,
Hawthorn better than beach in my book, lovely green apple skin taste to both though and the real shame is its only a few weeks a year that they are good. Any other tree leaves anyone?
Cheers
David
Lime leaves are excellent :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE