Beech burl kuksa.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
A work in progress.

on a recent walk in the local woods i happened upon a beech tree i had seen a hundred times,even camped next to one time,its very old like over 200 years,sadly it is in bade shape and many of the limbs have fallen and the core is rotted ,yet it clings on! anyhow whilst looking i noticed the most wonderful burr/burl on it so i lopped it off,initially i feared it was rotted but there were small sprouts on it. I believe it is a rare thing to find a true burr/burl on a beech.

When i started carving it into my new kuksa,as i carved it became apparent that it is not only a fine burr/burl but spalted too!

here is some pics:

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00518.jpg

DSC00519.jpg

DSC00520.jpg

heres the kuksa ready to be sent for stabilisation:

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

thanks for looking.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
this will be stabilised in the same way knife scales and blocks are,resin will be pushed in under imense pressure,thus stabilising the wood,then all that needs doing is sanding to fine and then wire wool it,it will polish like glass.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE