"Beater and Biter..."

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aye thats the stuff. A very nice man donated a piece of CPM S30V to the making of Biter (cheers Shinken :)). Never had a knife in that steel before but I hear good things so I look forward to trying it. Im told the A2 has the requisite toughness for Beater but I'm out of my depth with metallurgy to be honest. I tend to work on experience for what works and this project is trying a different approach to things than I normal use.

I have to admit this is a strange feeling for me - my normal tools are axe / 4" knife / saw / pocket knife and long ago I figured out through painful experience what I wanted from those tools. However because I can make those work, doesnt mean they are the only tools that work. Indeed some people I respect tell me they get very good results from larger bladed knives so this is a bit of "uncharted territory" for me. As a result the decisions on "Beater" are tougher for me because I have less experience to work with (I suspect I'm dithering a bit - sorry stu :eek:). Still - exploring is a lot of fun if a bit uncertain!

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You need a "Sting". Mine is an old Collins Legitimus machete! It actually needs a touch up and maybe a reprofile aswell, it didn't seem to perform too well at Delamere.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A "sting" I have Spam ;). In fact I bet mine is older than yours (by a few centuries :))

300092135_80b1f1d6d4.jpg

Red

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Morning all,

The blanks didn't leave for Red yesterday, postal strike :rolleyes:

What I did do though was "tweak" the larger blank, just a little... Both Red and I were niggled by something about the "Beater" blank we had, that was the initial reason we decided that he should see the blank.

I took a few measurements from the blank and compared them to the drawings... Then started tweaking...

This is the new "Beater" blank...

DSCN4389.jpg

DSCN4388.jpg

The blade is now a little narrower, and a little more parallel sided... Better I think but as always both Red and myself are keen for input ;)

This time we have the workshop floor as a backdrop :D

for a chopping knife you need fwd weight

this one is a pointy knife but is a little smaller than some Choppers
Almost like the PFK (not quite as pointy :D )

I guess this set would replace it in the field but increase the job spec both ends between them though again the points all seem similer
it will be interesting to see all 3 together

Are you going to Match them or do these as a differnt set i guess no Bolsters at the moment as no holes

Guess Red has a passion for Pointy Shiney :D :D

I suppose its name means its going to be Beaten thro stuff as aposed to use its own momentum so a heavy log can add the impudus

ATB

Duncan

PS mabye i should finally send my old relic of to have a propper one made as was teh original plan 20yrs testing the prototype is probably enough :lmao:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Red, I love your Sting! It is very nice indeed. I love the old mosaic pins, it just shows it isn't a recent idea. That knife deserves a thread all of its' own!

<Hint! Hint!>

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Dunc - thats a valid point - my experience of a true "chopper" (goloks, parangs and machetes including the Wiseman Survival tool which was the best chopper I have used) is that they have more length than I want on this knife. However much forward weight we put on it, I dont believe 7" is enough for a true chopping knife. So this will be intended to be a knife to be batoned rather than a free hand chopper.

Spam - I could publish more phots of sting but I don't know more than the guys at British Blades could tell me a couple of years ago. The suggestion was to take it to the Royal Armouries in Leeds since it clearly has some age (probably a few hundred years) and real gold work etc. However I'm a fair way from Leeds so I have never got around to it :eek:

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you can get detailed enough pictures, I could pop into Leeds Armouries and try to find out what I can. Any excuse to go up there and it has been a while since my last visit!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well gentlemen and ladies, we have a question for you - what grind for beater? We have a choice as the knife evolves of a thicker spine with more taper and ending in a convex probably in a 5mm spine or a thinner 4mm square sided arrangement with a convex bevel

Do you think the left one in 4mm or the right in 5mm?

1498914762_15c2dc52b7.jpg

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE