bear's........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1987_uk

i heard that along time ago bears used to live wild in england :-? can anyone help me with this. what kind of bears were they ? and what parts of england did the inhabit ? thanks,

wayne

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
How far back you wanna go?

We had european browns mostly but if you go back further you could find all sorts include the prehistoric giant bear.

We also had wolves, lions and tigers ohh my!!

Wendi

Jun 2, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I read that the European brown bear existed in England till about 500 years ago. This bear is believed to be of the same makeup as the North American grizzly bear! As the bear requires large ranges and is slow to reproduce it's no wonder that it became extinct in England. It is a shame...the wilderness seems much more wild when you have to worry about real creatures that go bump in the night :shock:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Have to agree there. The Uk outdoors is much more of a parkland without its hertiage of large carnivores.

Spent a summer alone in Alaska walking camping, Meeting a brown bear is the best and scariest experience to date.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
According to trees for life:

http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/tfl.visi.html

"Species such as the brown bear and the wild boar had become extinct (from Britain) by the 10th and 17th centuries respectively, while the last to disappear was the wolf, when the final individual was shot in 1743."

And they intend reintroducing the missing wildlife once they have recreated a significant tract of Caledonian forest. Top Blokes!!!

David

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
That would be good.

It has always been my dream to be able to do that - afford to do that.

I'd buy a huge chuck of Jock land put a fence around it and reintroduce all native species - let em get on with it for a while and then use the annual kull as a means to support the project.

Having seen wolves and bears in the wild in Canada it'd be fantastic to see them wild here too.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well not far from me you can do just that. There is a pack of wolves in an enclosed woodland near Newbury. You can go visit them walk with them etc.. A registered charity upto some good. Such actions should be encouraged as they are bound to escape sooner or later...
Cheers
Rich

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Roving Rich said:
Well not far from me you can do just that. There is a pack of wolves in an enclosed woodland near Newbury. You can go visit them walk with them etc.. A registered charity upto some good. Such actions should be encouraged as they are bound to escape sooner or later...
Cheers
Rich
Yep,
I've come across them on the web and they are on my list of things to do!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The Wolf charity near Newbury is The Wolf Conservation Trust.

They hold seminars throughout the year with guest speakers at Cheam School. Last Speaker was Jim Halfpenny large carnivore ecologist and tracker. They did a tracking evening as well was first class.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
I see from the Independent yesterday tha we have got wild boar back in the wild in the UK, just need the wolves and bears roaming the southeast to control numbers :wink: !

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
Ahh, you brits miss the landlink!

Here in Holland we of course also killed everything bigger than squirrel, but fortunately we are connected to more rugged areas in Belgium and Germany. Al lot of species introduced them selves again, some with a little help. Lot’s of wild boar now, all kinds of flying creatures and since an few years we again have otters and beaver.

There where plans to re-introduce bigger and wilder animals but people are a bit scared. They now use Scottish Galloway’s as big grazers in some habitats, they look wild at least.

Since very recent Germany has wolves again! Conservationist where lobbying for years to no avail, but these seem to be illegal immigrants from Poland! And they are spreading as there are no more borders and lots of wolf-empty space! So maybe in 10 or 20 years we also have wolfs again in Holland (but it’s probably to crowded here).

Oh, a few months ago there was a kangaroo seen in the east, but I don’t think that we can count that as being wildlife. :wink:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
dtalbot said:
I see from the Independent yesterday tha we have got wild boar back in the wild in the UK, just need the wolves and bears roaming the southeast to control numbers :wink: !

I don't think that a few wolves and bears will be enough to keep down population in the sout-east.

The animals tend to be a bit wary, and will only attack when either very hungry, or when cornered.

Keith ;)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Would be nice to see wolves back in the wilds of the UK. why don,t they introduce them into parts of Scotland and instead of an annual cull of the many deer,let nature take its natural course!!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I'm not against re-introducing wolves to the highlands, and I'd love to see them in the wild but it always tickles me that it's people in England arguing for it.:rolleyes: True, the Red Deer population would probably benefit, but it's not that convincing to be arguing for reintroduction when you're 500 or 600 miles away from. I'm sure the main campaign is based in Oxford :roll:

Cheers
Justin
wondering whether I can afford £35 to join the wolf conservation trust so that I can go for a walk with them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE