Bear Sighting!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Great pictures I even had to shout to the Mrs to come and have a look
We are travelling through the mountains in Bulgaria next month and my daughter is a bit worried about bears so I won't show her!

Thanks for sharing

Will you be travelling through Romania to Bulgaria? If you are please stop by!

Paul

Hi Paul, great blog indeed! I especially like the story on Foxy.....how is that for a great birthday present, coming from.....who knows, the universe maybe? Really wonderfull. And a great looking dog as well, especially the stand-off's with goat and sheep, hahahaha!

Thanks!

Foxy is a great companion and a lot of fun, but very mischievous at the same time! I was clearing windfall apples yesterday, slowly making my way across the lawn. As I was walked back with the empty bucket I kept finding apples on the grass that I had just cleared! So as I started to fill the bucket again I kept one eye on Foxy, and sure enough she was waiting until my back was turned, grabbing apples from the bucket and putting them back on the grass!

Foxy and I have been invited to join some Alpinists next week on a three day trip to explore the mountains and a cave complex in the Apuseni mountains. http://www.parcapuseni.ro/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=72&Itemid=79&lang=en
They are probably hoping Foxy will act like a canary in a cage but for bears not gas!

Cheers, Paul

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
awesome thread.

Three years ago I was camping in canada after visiting my cousins place. I was hung out in a hammock and was fast asleep when I felt some thign brush my backside, swinging me gently.

I heard some shuffling, low growling and some playful sqeels and thought 'I'll stay still'. Glad I did, because as I looked over this huge brown bear was playfullly patting pauls hammock, and the sqeels were not play at all -it was him.

It must of got bored because it just shuffled off with three small bundles of fur in close pursuit. Turns out paul was using a torch to read by and the bear we think just got curious.

awesome thread.

Three years ago I was camping in canada after visiting my cousins place. I was hung out in a hammock and was fast asleep when I felt some thign brush my backside, swinging me gently.

I heard some shuffling, low growling and some playful sqeels and thought 'I'll stay still'. Glad I did, because as I looked over this huge brown bear was playfullly patting pauls hammock, and the sqeels were not play at all -it was him.

It must of got bored because it just shuffled off with three small bundles of fur in close pursuit. Turns out paul was using a torch to read by and the bear we think just got curious.

Wow, you were lucky, cubs and all! A friend of mine here also uses a hammock when camping. He goes into the mountains for weeks at a time on his own and said he has on occasion been approached by a bear. When I asked him what he does in these situations, he said he talks softly to the bear to go away!

How do you find using a hammock? Do you find it comfortable? I have never used one but I do know people that swear by them under a tarp.

Cheers, Paul

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
How do you find using a hammock?

Bears? Hammocks? They like them very much:lmao: Me too, I like bears and hammocks. I have three or four, hammocks not bears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rxNJPR94u0

I have seen bear on two occasions only, once from far away:cool: the other time way too close:yikes: . I am very glad to have got to see them but there is such a thing as a "comfortable" distance. I think the "bear suit" is supposed to close that distance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3CzYw5-qdA
:borgsmile

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
How do you find using a hammock? Do you find it comfortable? I have never used one but I do know people that swear by them under a tarp.
Cheers, Paul

I have a Hennessy Hammock, it's absolutely great. I love it. If I could I would only sleep in hammocks outdoors.

I just got a Ticket to the Moon hammock as well, that's a different design, much more basic. Still have to test-sleep in it, but my brother swears by it. I've layn in a DD Hammock as well but that's to narrow and flat for me.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Wow, you were lucky, cubs and all! A friend of mine here also uses a hammock when camping. He goes into the mountains for weeks at a time on his own and said he has on occasion been approached by a bear. When I asked him what he does in these situations, he said he talks softly to the bear to go away!

Cheers, Paul

I use mine all summer under an Aussie Basha (Tarp) - The best nights sleep I ever get to be honest. In winter however I'll resort to a neat little hopped bivvi I have, or if theres other people, tents. Reason being is that alot of times there are no trees where I trudge off to, so it makes sense. :)

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Paul,

Maybe you can help with something I've always wondered about.

When you prepare and eat food in the bush your hands and clothes inevitably get food smells on them if not blood. Even if you store the food a 100 metres away you will still be smelling delicious in your sleeping bag or hammock and won't bruin make a bee line for you?

If you have vehicles no doubt you can wash up but what about the solo traveller who may not be near a stream and only has the clothes and kit he's wearing. He may have carried a deer or rabbit back to camp and cannot avoid smell.

What do you do? How far is your food preparation and dining area from your sleeping arrangements? How do you minimise smell - a smoke bath?

It's academic over here. The predators like their meat alive and are not into carbohydrate.

Paul,

Maybe you can help with something I've always wondered about.

When you prepare and eat food in the bush your hands and clothes inevitably get food smells on them if not blood. Even if you store the food a 100 metres away you will still be smelling delicious in your sleeping bag or hammock and won't bruin make a bee line for you?

If you have vehicles no doubt you can wash up but what about the solo traveller who may not be near a stream and only has the clothes and kit he's wearing. He may have carried a deer or rabbit back to camp and cannot avoid smell.

What do you do? How far is your food preparation and dining area from your sleeping arrangements? How do you minimise smell - a smoke bath?

It's academic over here. The predators like their meat alive and are not into carbohydrate.

Hi!

I don't want to give anyone the impression that I am the expert here because I am not. Most safety advice that I know about has been picked up from what I have read and tips that have been passed on by forest rangers that I spend time with.

I have found the following article by Jeremy Biberdorf that appears to cover the points that you have enquired about.

Best wishes, Paul

"If you plan on venturing into the wilderness on a camping or hiking trip, you need to be prepared to deal with potentially dangerous wildlife. Bears in particular need to be respected and avoided. One of the easiest ways to avoid bears is to be careful with storing and preparing food.

Choosing the Safest Camping Food

Strong smelling food like tuna or garlic can attract bears easiest. When you choose which foods to pack, try to avoid foods that have strong odors. Canned or dried food is a much better choice. Not only do these types of food last longer, but they give off fewer odors too. Individual packaged food is better than larger packages that have to be manually resealed.

Safely Storing Your Camping Food

One mistake many campers make is not taking adequate precautions for storing food. All too often food is stored either in the same tent you sleep in or in a nearby cooler. This can be a very bad idea. You are essentially drawing the bears right to wear you are vulnerably sleeping.

Your food should be stored a good distance away from your tent (at least 100 meters). To prevent food odors from blowing through your campsite, your food storage location should also be downwind from your campsite. When picking a location to store food, think of how close to your campsite you would be comfortable having bears. Obviously that is not very close at all.

For actual food storage, you have a few choices. There are bear proof containers available in a variety of sizes. These bear proof storage lockers make it nearly impossible for bears to get at your food. It might not be practical to carry one of these durable containers to camp though.

The more traditional method for camping food storage is to hang your food up in a tree in an airtight bag. Since bears do have some tree climbing capabilities, it is best to hang the food at least 5 meters above ground and at least 4 feet away from the trunk of the tree. A bear could easily reach a bag if it is too low or too close to the trunk of the tree. This is not the most secure method because using too small a branch makes it possible for a bear to break the branch and using too large a branch makes it possible for a bear to climb out to your bag. Bears can also chew through ropes holding bags up in trees. So if you plan on hanging your food, counterbalance the rope with a second bag. Then use a long stick to retrieve tour bags afterwards. Or you can suspend the food bag between two trees. Some camps have existing ropes or poles setup to use instead of hanging food from branches.

As a last resort, you could also store your food in the trunk of your vehicle. This should be avoided though, as vehicles are not airtight and odors could leak out. This could lead to a bear scratching up your vehicle to get at your food. Bears with previous human contact may recognize coolers or other food containers. So don't just put food easily in sight in the front seat of your vehicle.

As your garbage may also have food odors, it is recommended that you also safely store your garbage with your food supply. Other fragrant items such as soap, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant and perfume should be stored with food too. If any of your clothes smell like food, be on the safe side and store these garments with your food. Ensure that no extra snacks are still in your daypack when you go to sleep. Tampons, napkins and toilet paper can also lure bears if not stored properly.

Safely Cooking Food While Camping

Another mistake campers make is to cook food in the middle of the campsite. This will leave traces of food odors throughout your camping area. Assume that bears will come investigate your cooking area and position it away from your tent with your food supply.

While you are cooking, try to keep the area well ventilated. If you are inside a tent, open the flap to air out some of the odors. You don't want these areas still strongly smelling like food when you go to sleep. Do not cook in the tent you plan on sleeping in! Covering any frying food prevents excess odors too. When you are done frying food, completely burn any excess grease and oil.

Many people like to go fishing while they camp. If you are one of these people, don't clean your fish near your camp. Ideally, you would gut the fish in the middle of a lake where a bear would not smell the remains. Burying fish remains nearby is a bad idea.

Another tip for camp cooking is to avoid cooking too much food. Don't cook more than you can eat as leftovers smell more than packaged food.

Cleaning Up To Prevent Bears

Keeping your campsite clean of garbage and food scraps will help keep bears away. Immediately after cooking and eating, you should thoroughly clean all your dishes. Strain the pieces of food from your dishwater and store that with the rest of your garbage and food. To dispose of the dishwater, dig a shallow pit. Then poor in the dishwater and cover it with ashes or disinfectant. This will stop odors and decomposition.

While some people do not recommend burning any garbage while camping, it may be a good idea for any food scraps and food wrappers. It is better to burn these items leaving a temporary odor rather than keeping the items emitting bear attracting odors.

Always pack out what you pack in. Leaving any garbage behind can turn the campsite into a regular bear hang out.

Conclusion

Be aware of the necessary food storage and cooking precautions while camping. Do everything you can to keep food odors away from your camp. Taking these precautions is the easiest way to prevent a bear encounter."

Update October 2010: Here are some more safety tips now posted on my site - http://www.trackranger.com/2010/08/safety-tips-bears.html

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Most safety advice that I know about has been picked up from what I have read and tips that have been passed on by forest rangers that I spend time with..."

Great post Paul. :D

When you are out and about do you sleep under a tarp or a tent? (or both).

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
As a last resort, you could also store your food in the trunk of your vehicle. This should be avoided though, as vehicles are not airtight and odors could leak out. This could lead to a bear scratching up your vehicle to get at your food. Bears with previous human contact may recognize coolers or other food containers. So don't just put food easily in sight in the front seat of your vehicle.

Alot of bears out here have learned how to break into cars. They will get in through a window and tear through the back seat to get at food left in the trunk. In Yosemite NP for example, you can be fined $5,000 and have your car impounded for leaving food in your vehicle overnight. I see for wilderness camping/backpacking in Yosemite, an " allowed bear-resistant food canister " now must be in use.

Paul, I'm curious if you have ever heard of such a thing in your parts(bears entering cars). Cool thread:cool:
beardamagetocar_2.jpg

bear37.jpg

BOD

B***dy H**l,

I never realised it was so complicated with bears!

What time do you get to sleep? It would seem you are up half the night digging pits, burning trash and hauling food into the tree tops not to mention all the other stuff he recommends!

How on earth did the mountain men cope or did they just shoot the bear as the less tiring option?

Great post Paul. :D

When you are out and about do you sleep under a tarp or a tent? (or both).

Thanks!

When I'm out I use a tent, although I would not be adverse to using a tarp :)

Alot of bears out here have learned how to break into cars. They will get in through a window and tear through the back seat to get at food left in the trunk. In Yosemite NP for example, you can be fined $5,000 and have your car impounded for leaving food in your vehicle overnight. I see for wilderness camping/backpacking in Yosemite, an " allowed bear-resistant food canister " now must be in use.

Paul, I'm curious if you have ever heard of such a thing in your parts(bears entering cars). Cool thread:cool:
beardamagetocar_2.jpg

bear37.jpg

Hi,

I have no personal experience or knowledge of anyone having their car broken into here by a bear , but they are known to break into wooden cabins in the forest. There are also the infamous rubbish bears of Brasov. There is a massive building programme around Brasov and residential buildings are getting closer and closer to the forest. Bears are becoming less and less afraid of humans and encounters are on the increase.

Last year a guy was having a snooze on a bench 500 metres from the city centre and was dragged off and mauled to death. They found his half buried body just inside the forest line. I photographed the place where the incident took place below.

DSC09468600x450.jpg

To the left of the path you see this

DSC09470600x450.jpg

And to the right is wild forest on a slope. A little further along the path there are litter bins lining the path. My belief is that the bear would have been looking for food in the bins and this poor chap was in the wrong place at the wrong time. How could they be sure this was a bear attack? Easily identified at post mortem by bite and claw marks and the behaviour of the bear by dragging her kill and attempting to bury the body for eating later. Yes, it was close to the centre of the city, but it was outside the main medieval city wall and very close to the forest. More worrying is that on that view to the left of the path lies a small children's playground forest side of the wall, which remains open!

Last year, there was a very near miss as a woman came home from shopping. She was carrying her bags of shopping up the stairs to her apartment in a tall block of flats when a bear appeared coming down the stairs! Another report last year was of a bear attempting to enter a restaurant full of customers. Bears in Brasov are getting very used to humans and these close encounters and attacks are on the increase. However, I know there will be a point when it will no longer be tolerated which will probably result in a large cull. We do not have quite the same problem, although bears do enter the peripheral gardens of the village before hibernation to scrump apples and pears.

The video clip below shows the bears of Brasov raiding bins for food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol8NCwi9Un0

A policeman died last month, also killed by a bear near Commandau some 20 miles from where I live. For some bizarre reason he ventured into a cave in the middle of winter. Everyone here knows that you stay well away from caves in the winter when bears are hibernating. Big bears get the caves as the best place to hibernate is sorted out by pecking order. The smaller bears often have to make do with with ditches or a shallow under trees. The snow covers them and a small breather hole connects them to fresh air. I often walk through the forest during winter with my ranger friend. We can recognise a place where a bear is lying without even seeing it from quite a distance. If you see all trees covered in snow and one without, stay away! The body heat and breath drifts up through the breather hole and melts the snow on the tree! When the ranger sees this, he daubs paint on the surrounding trees to warn passers by. If you disturb a bear whilst hibernating, it is not a slow wake up, it can be instant and explosive!

The following article touches on some of the incidents I describe above and the increased incidents of bear attacks in Romania.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4470979.ece

Cheers, Paul

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
When you wake a bear in winter, you owe them 50,000 calories - in short, they'll do their damnest to eat you to get some replacement body fat.

Caves in winter where bears live? holy all thats good - what on earth possessed a man to do that?

As for the man alseep on the bench and dragged to his doom......... :(

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
B***dy H**l,

How on earth did the mountain men cope or did they just shoot the bear as the less tiring option?

I know, can you imagine? I think they had encounters all the time. Check out what happened to the mountain man Hugh Glass:yikes:
http://www.rosyinn.com/more005.html

Eventually they shot most of them. The last grizzly bear in New Mexico was killed in the 1950's. The hide is kept at the local Fish and Game HQ, I've been wanting to go have a look if they will let me.
One of the last mountain men, a guy named Ben Lilly, operated in southern New Mexico up until the 1930's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Lilly
One time I'm up in the hills, this jeep pulls up and out of the passenger side leans this little old lady, huge rifle across her lap, and she says, "Y'all seen any bear?"
So for sure there are mountain-women still out there.

Thanks Paul. That's a scary thought (parkbench). Up in Montana and parts thereabouts (grizzly country), I recall that ALL the outdoor trash bins were bear-proof.

This is a pretty gruesome tale here, some folks may not want to read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident

BOD

Know about Glass.

That Lilly is a wild one:lmao:

In one well known account, his wife sent him to shoot a chicken-hawk that was bothering the birds around their home. Then he went missing for almost two years, and upon his return, when asked what happened, he gave the laconic answer: “That hawk just kept flying!”

Takes a real man to do that to his missus!

This is a pretty gruesome tale here, some folks may not want to read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident

I have just read this story with some fascination. I would never believed that a single bear could cause such havoc.

I hosted a documentary film company here last year making a programme about villagers living in close proximity to bears. I managed to find 9 villagers that had been mauled over the years to tell their story. After that my whole attitude toward bears changed. To say that I am much more cautious now would be an understatement! I sat through each interview horrified by the details of the attacks and at the same time amazed that they survived.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE