Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Bear uses the same knife on some of his programmes and looks to cut through anything. Id possibly get one myself if it didnt have the BG logo on it as hes not very well liked in the bushcraft community.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
JD's review on this knife is a very good one (see above link), and the knife performs very well by all accounts.

Whether BG is liked in the Bushcraft Community or not is irrelevant, the knife does what you need it to do. If you don't like the look of the knife then don't purchase one, if you are not bothered about orange letters on the handle, or you think it may well come in handy should you drop your knife in long grass, and the only thing you can pick out is orange lettering then go for it.

thebrown83

Jan 3, 2012
Manchester, England
Bear uses the same knife on some of his programmes and looks to cut through anything. Id possibly get one myself if it didnt have the BG logo on it as hes not very well liked in the bushcraft community.

Ha The 'BG' logo doesn't bother me that much, I've read some reviews on the knife and it gets all good ratings..

thebrown83

Jan 3, 2012
Manchester, England
..if you are not bothered about orange letters on the handle, or you think it may well come in handy should you drop your knife in long grass, and the only thing you can pick out is orange lettering then go for it.

Good point mate, the orange will surely make it quite visible if you do drop it

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I know it's made by Gerber and they make good knives don't they, I do like the design of it and the way the firesteel is embedded in the sheath which is water tight so you won't get it wet.

I don't want to "teach my granny to suck eggs" but a firesteel works even when wet, the fact that the firesteel fits snugly is a bonus though, it should mean it wont be lost.

From what I have read and seen Gerber do make good knives, I havent owned one (yet) so cant post an experienced comment

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I know it's made by Gerber and they make good knives don't they, I do like the design of it and the way the firesteel is embedded in the sheath which is water tight so you won't get it wet.

Gerber make "ok" knives. Not the best in the world. And not the worst. BUT, better can be had.

The water tight sheath seems a bit daft. I'm assuming that means you won't get the blade wet? As getting the firesteel wet makes no difference as you can fully submerge them then still use it afterwards.

Serrations have their uses but most people don't like them. They come in very handy if you are cutting rope.

This is a nice knife:
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Enzo-Knives/Enzo-Knives-Trapper-Black-Micarta/p-92-756-6508/

Though I would suggest (and 99.9% of people here would recommend) you look into a Mora
http://www.heinnie.com/prodtype.asp...rchStartRecord=0&strParents=92,304&CAT_ID=304

This one has a built in firesteel.
http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?strParents=92,304&CAT_ID=304&P_ID=6772

All the best
Andy

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
what is wrong with bg( he is not very well liked in the bushcraft community) is a rather sweeping statement, you may not like him but please don't tar the rest of us with the same brush regards dave:nono:

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Your getting me all wrong here, I actually like BG.

BUT...If i was going to a meet, everyone was asked to whip out their knives and I pulled this out...I think id die of embarrassment. Not because I think BG is an idiot, because it looks like a bit of a ''wannabe survivalist'' toy in my opinion. Ive read the review, great little knife apparently, buy I think the BG just puts the 'cheesy' factor to it. hence i said id get one if his initials wern't printed on the handle.

nunzionuk

actually Fire steels dont like prolonged exposure to damp and especially sea water they will crumble away

a lot of people use nail varnish on them to protect them and reapply after a period of use

ATB

Duncan

Didnt know this.. thanks :)

As for BG he is ok, more a show man than RM.

I have a couple of gerber knives, they are nice and well made, imho. The BG one is nice, but if you are looking to start then a mora clipper wont do you any wrong.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Iv got to agree with you Danny, i like BG too! Gerber make a lot better knives now..(apparently) iv had a few Gerber folders in the past which served me well and someone told me they changed the steel. weather thats true i dont no but i must admit its not the prettiest looking knife on the market! (in my opinion!) Practicality i guess its ok, although sharpening any serrated edge can be tricky.. and you sure wont be able to do it with the built in sharpener!

dont worries about what some members say mate.. some of them are far too self-opinionated, almost to the point of being rude. just ignore! ;)

ATB

nunzionuk

I think you can get the BG Knife without the serrated edge now, or soon. Unless you have a need for the serrated edge, i would stay clear of them as much as possible, they are a pita to sharpen and the teeth round off over time, which I have yet to work out if its a good thing or not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE