Bear grylls Knife and SWC knife question.

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
Hey guys. I was wondering how much the Bayley s4 is and how rare they are. I have been looking on google and have not seen any for sale. My other question is about my Ray Mears S.W.C knife. I was wondering If it comes with a lifetime guarantee??, just in case anything goes wrong with it since Im going to use it as my knife not just a display item. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Frazer.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I don't know about the Griylls knife, but there is a member on here who currently has issues with the guarante on his swc knife, albeit, he purchased it direct as opposed to going through woodlore. There have been others on BB who have also had issues with swc, i'm one of them, again we all dealt direct as opposed to going throuh woodlore.

Rob

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
Ok, thanks for the help.I'm just a bit concerned there being no help If something goes wrong when I use this knife.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The only way you will get a Bear Grylls Bayley with a signed blade is to get one pre-owned. I have seen them from £550 to £1100 depending on condition. An unsigned one goes from about £400 to £700 condition dependant. Rob only made about 100 of the signed version, and stopped making them in 2009 when Bear went with Gerber. He does still make the unsigned S4, but has closed the books as the wait time was 10 years and counting due to demand. I doubt you will find a signed blade without paying a ransom now though.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Im the other member on here Woof was talking about, i have emailed steve over 10 times without reply and was given his number by a really helpful famous bushcraft school but still not been able to get hold of him, his admin is really terrible, although his knives are a work of art. Hopefully if you bought a SWC through Woodlore you would be fine as Woodlore really value their reputation and their customer service is usually spot on. Hope this helps mate.

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
I've also had troubles with SWC. To be fair his workmanship is excellent but his customer service is non-existent. If you buy one of the ones he does for the RM site I'd hope you'd be ok though as I can't imagine that's an account he'd be prepared to jeopardise.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've also had troubles with SWC. To be fair his workmanship is excellent but his customer service is non-existent. If you buy one of the ones he does for the RM site I'd hope you'd be ok though as I can't imagine that's an account he'd be prepared to jeopardise.

More importantly, Woodlore would stand by their product and reputation more than their supplier. That's when paying for the Ray Mears logo starts to actually mean something.

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
Yep, I'd tend to agree with that Jonathan. In what little dealings I've had with woodlore they have been first class. I had my RM clone made to order directly from SWC though. At first he was fine but when it was time for my order to come to fruition I couldn't get a response from him for love nor money. I just pray I never have a warranty issue with the knife.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
i have a swc ray mears knife bought through woodlore two years ago never used store out of sheath in the box it came in ,about four weeks ago noticed the scales had shrank got in touch with woodlore they were great all sorted with in a week.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
you mean it was stored in a box and the scales shrank? crazy, I mean it's wood? wood contracts if you don't feed it, oils either from a bottle or your hand, if that's the reasons that people are getting them "fixed" then you should feel lucky they even bothered to return you contact, IMO.

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
I've read it's quite a common issue with the SWC knives from woodlore. Though I think the reason is down to people not knowing how to care for the wood and the nature of wood itself. Wood will expand and contract depending on air humidity and such.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
you mean it was stored in a box and the scales shrank? crazy, I mean it's wood? wood contracts if you don't feed it, oils either from a bottle or your hand, if that's the reasons that people are getting them "fixed" then you should feel lucky they even bothered to return you contact, IMO.
where do you store your knife in a sheath?i have a few knives the scales have not shrunk,and if you pay £295 for a knife you don't expect it to shrink and it was coated in linseed oil

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
To be fair, a quick search on Google would tell you that this is a known problem with this knife. It needs to be treated periodically or this can happen. Same applies to a lot of wood scales and is one reason people go for artificial materials.
If it's sorted then it doesn't matter now anyway :)

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
I've read it's quite a common issue with the SWC knives from woodlore. Though I think the reason is down to people not knowing how to care for the wood and the nature of wood itself. Wood will expand and contract depending on air humidity and such.

Don't think it is down to people not knowing about knife care it is the wood used for the scales no Alan Woods being returned that I have heard of

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE