Bear Grills Law Breaker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Possible answers:

• It was an old skin which he had stuffed with mashed chicken nuggets?
  • He had bought a snake at a pet shop and taken it with him?

I have my doubts that he 'happened' on a wild snake and ate it! ;)

Cheers,
Steve

SkogKniv

Dec 7, 2008
Way upstate NY
My favorite distasteful moment of Grylls is when he was in the Florida Everglades and captures and slaughters a 6 foot alligator, to only take two cuts of meat from the lower tail. Then tosses the carcass into the water. He then justifies the kill by saying it all goes back to nature. In my opinion he is a moron. I could not imagine killing such a large creature for so little a reward. We all know he was not starving with his 15 person camera crew near by. Had Les Stroud done this I would have imagined he would have used much of the meat for his 7 day situations there for justifying a kill like that. Could you see the man himself Mears doing such a disgusting act?

Thats actually a good question BOD, I found this:

Threats & Conservation Status

Like all snakes, Olive Pythons are protected in Australia. Although not listed as endangered, the subspecies Pilbara Olive Python is listed as vulnerable. Unfortunately, many Olive Pythons are mistaken for the highly venomous King Brown Snake and are often killed.

So even though its protected do you think its not actually illegal to kill them?

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
It wouldnt surprise me if it was a python bred in captivity.so he,s legally allowed or maybe he did break the law knowing he would be back in uk before authoriteies in oz found out!!!

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
He annoys me because people think his shows are about survival, as mears once said "if you're struggling when you survive,you're doing it wrong" bear grylls is such a fraud!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I think you shouldn't take Bear quite so seriously.
It's entertainment. No more. No less. If you're watching it as a serious exploration of survival skills then you're seriously missing the point. I enjoy watching Bear Grylls - it makes me laugh and is pure escapism. But I don't see it as part of the wider bushcraft agenda.
And so, when it comes to his 'killing' of animals, I don't earnestly believe these are animals he has trapped and killed in the manner he would have you believe. I am quite sure it is done in controlled conditions with supervisors on hand. And I am sure the animals that he kills are being lawfully killed for whatever reason.
Don't kid yourself that Bear does all these things 'for real' and you'll find him quite entertaining.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
As an aside, the most recent edition of "Bushcraft and Survival Skills" magazine has invited its readership to debate the never-ending Grylls/Mears debate. Methinks that they'll have the fattest postbag - ever and might have to put some of the advertising on 'hold' to accommodate the storm.

With regard to the snake episode, the producers of Senor Grylls's entertainments obviously were not aware of the legalities surrounding olive pythons and thought that if their man was seen eating something that resembled a poisonous snake, it would enhance his profile. The disposal of 98% of the crocodile/alligator was truly awful: you'd have expected him to make a handbag out of the rest, at least!;)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I think you shouldn't take Bear quite so seriously.
It's entertainment. No more. No less. If you're watching it as a serious exploration of survival skills then you're seriously missing the point. I enjoy watching Bear Grylls - it makes me laugh and is pure escapism. But I don't see it as part of the wider bushcraft agenda.
And so, when it comes to his 'killing' of animals, I don't earnestly believe these are animals he has trapped and killed in the manner he would have you believe. I am quite sure it is done in controlled conditions with supervisors on hand. And I am sure the animals that he kills are being lawfully killed for whatever reason.
Don't kid yourself that Bear does all these things 'for real' and you'll find him quite entertaining.

I agree with all said here.Its an entertainment show presented by Bear Grylls,

http://tv.yahoo.com/man-vs-wild/show/41410/castcrew

Note it says ACTOR besides bears name, also note the producer and director, who dictate the contents of the shows.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Im fairly certain he does actually kill the animals. If these shows were simply "watch a man bite the head off a live snake" the public would be outraged at animal abuse for entertainment,even `Im A HasBeen Get Me Out Of Here` hasnt dared to that (yet) but Bear does it as a "demonstration of survival" and so gets away with it.

HOUGHTON PIG

Oct 1, 2008
West Sussex
I'd have to sit on the wall with this one, not knowing all the facts. One thing I do know is that watching Bear drag the guts of a camel across the desert has to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I couldn't keep my self on the sofa with the uncontrollable belly laughs. I think they only call him Bear because he is constantly having to sh*t in the woods from all the pointless things he makes himself eat. Much more Monty Python than Olive Python.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
saw an episode of top gear recently where they burnt a morris marina, the following week they had complaints from the morris marina owners club, saying how irrisponsible it was to destroy such an obvious classic etc etc

I can imagine the producers of bear grylls show having a right laugh at the complaints they get mailed from the annoraks of the bushcraft community, stating how utterly irresponsible bear is with his survival advice.

Im suprised some of yous aint up in arms about the factual content of 'im a celebrity - get me out of here' n all.

:lmao: wrap up!

fatduck89

Nov 19, 2007
Goffs Oak
My personal fave moment of Bear Grylls is when he says, a good way to cover some mileage in the Canadian Rockies; you should throw yourself into the rapids with your backpack on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE