BCUK Springwatch Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My first flower of the year is a Groundsel at the base of a wall in the village today. Also noticed lots of new growth of weedy stuff like hogweed, chickweed, and ivy-leavfed toadflax.

Still no snowdrops for me, but I'll be woodland walking tomorrow, so hopefully will see some.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Lesser Celandine coming though here, no flowers yet though. Snowdrops almost full height, but not flowering yet, and sign of the Bluebells pushing through.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
All the usual weeds are popping there annoying, bitter little heads up. The elder is budding - which is nice.

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
Now you come to mention black birds, our resident was singing his head off for most of the night recently. I guess he was on the pull as well.

The signs are always there if you look I guess.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Bluebells starting to poke through last week on the 21st, now they are much higher where we have been working and moving the leafmould as we work.
More birds active each day, with common spotted woodpeckers, nuthatch, treecreepers, longtailed tits all very busy enjoying the nice weather.

ooo and loads of wild strawberry growth. I'll be returning there in the summer :p

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Plenty of snowdrops in our woods now.

29Jan20117.jpg

28Jan201111.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well, the Old Man's Beard or traveller's Joy (Clematis) has decided to break open the buds and sprout leaves. I remember last year it was the first thing to come into leaf for several weeks. Saw my first emergent snowdrops of the year too, and lots of new growth of wood anemone.

Not spring-related in any way, but I had a lovely clear sighting of a male Goosander on the river Usk too. Good day.

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
Does being woken up at 0200 and 0400 hrs by a pair of foxes who sounded like they were having fun count as a Spring occurrence?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE