BCUK Springwatch Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
No less than 7 butterflies today: 3 commas, 3 peacocks, and 1 "didn't see it properly".

Best of all though was hearing my first chiffchaff of the year. That's my first summer migrant of the year. Always great to hear.

Had a really nice day wandering around various places, seeing masses of leaves emerging, watching bizzards soaring, glimpsed a deer, lots of flowers, even did my first bit of birch tapping.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Another chiffchaff yesterday, and several cowslips just coming into flower. Yarrow is growing too. Must go and check on my early purple orchid sites...

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Another chiffchaff, two more butterflies, and 2 new flower species today. A solitary Greater Stitchwort, and several small patches of bugle, just starting to emerge.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lots to add. Yesterday I got off the bus outside work and there was a tiger beetle on the path. Very unexpected, as i wouldn't have thought there was much suitable habitat nearby, but there it was all the same. Then I saw a Bee-Fly (Bombylius sp) sipping nectar from daisies. I also saw Ivy-leaved toadflax in flower, and Ivy-leaved Speedwell. Today I added Lady's Smock (cuckoo flower) and Wood Sorrel in flower, and heard a very upset peregrine falcon.

Most of the trees are coming into leaf now. Horse chestnut, grey poplar and larch are the latest.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Finally got to go and check on my Marsh Marigold site, and there they were. Recorded them a month later this year, but that's purely because I haven't been that way in a while. Also a big patch of Barren Strawberry in flower in a churchyard. Also in the churchyard were loads of honeybees, literally cramming them selves into some fresh roses that someone had put on a grave.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've got ladybirds in my bathroom and a bird turned up at work today wearing a mini-skirt. Spring had sprung.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Today I saw - Flowers starting to show on the Cow Parsley, and the Jack-by-the-Hedge.
Bluebells not quite open yet, but very definitely showing blue.
Flower umbels forming on some Elder.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Today I added White Dead Nettle, and Mistletoe (in flower - I've never seen the flowers before today - not that there's much to see!), and a big yellow umbellifer that I'm probably going to need another look at but which might be Alexanders. Also another Speedwell, this time Green Field Speedwell. Masses of wild onion about (locally called crow garlic), but it isn't in flower.

One of the reasons I stop counting every species at the end of March is that I start to reach my limit of what I can reliably identify. There was a yellow crucifer in a field yesterday that I simply haven't a clue about. Might be Rape, might not. Beats me.

I should also add a brown lacewing and a wood ant, both of which I saw a week or so ago, and forgot about.

Not a spring sign, but I saw masses of Scarlet Elf Cup fungus today, and loads of Marsh Marigolds. I also got excited about hearing some Cetti's warblers, thinking they were very early migrants, until a birder colleague told me they were resident. I heard three of them. Also saw some teal, which is odd because they should have flown off to Russia for the summer breeding season by now. About three pairs look to be staying here.Saw a pair of Egrets too.

I've spent most of the day at Magor Marsh nature reserve near Newport, hence the above. First evening of the year for a kids wildlife group, and it was great to see so many enthusiastic and knowledgeable youngsters, plus some older teens who have come back as young leaders. Very rewarding day.

Muddypaws, your area is ahead of me. Bluebells not yet close, and the elder is nowhere near flowering - its barely in leaf.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I knew there was something else. Hairy wood rush in flower yesterday!

Incidentally, now is a good time, while the blossum is about, to note where all those cherry and plum trees are that you hadn't previously noticed. Make a note of them, and come back later in the year. It's how I find new foraging grounds every year.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Muddypaws, your area is ahead of me. Bluebells not yet close, and the elder is nowhere near flowering - its barely in leaf.

Well summer does come soonest in the South, but I will say that these were isolated pockets, and not the norm. Also these are green spots within the city, and the temperatures in cities are always a degree or two above more rural locations.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
First batch of common ink caps for the year today. A bit of rain always brings the fungi out. The puffballs that are always on a stump at work seem to have re-plumped almost overnight, and are loaded with spores again.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Nesting Cyanistes caeruleus...cheerful little fellas...but boy are they territorial

bluetit.jpg

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I'm fairly certain I saw Fumitory in bloom today, it just seems a little early to me (my Collins Flower Guide doorstop edition says flowers May - Oct). It was growing on a bank of imported topsoil that the council tipped last year, to stop vehicular access to a patch of open ground. Lots of interesting looking plants coming through, including a yellow crucifer (perhaps Wild Cabbage or Rape).
The Bluebells I saw earlier in the week are open now, but they are the Spanish interlopers, and therefore garden escapes, so I don't know if they should count in this thread.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Have had a few days of computer downtime, so haven't been keeping this updated. I've now seen bluebells, and three more butterfly species - Brimstone, Orange Tip, and Large White.

And the news several people have been waiting for - the beech leaves are emerging. Break out the vodka guys!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE