BCUK or BUCK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used Buck knives, and while I am not so dismissive of Buck as a brand, I agree that there are some much better knives out there for bushcraft use. Some of the Bucks I use are in daily use, have no broken tips, hold a great edge ( and with my set up of diamond stones are simple, if time consuming to sharpen) and are comfortable and practical for the jobs I put them to.
I have even done some rock sculpture with a Buck knife and resharpened it to a razor edge afterwards....
OK some are ugly but most brands have their lemons in there somewhere...I would be far from eager to diss the whole range!
I dont see BCUK as a prime Buck market though...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao: :D

Oh I try, I really do.......but y'know sometimes that tongue of mine gets me into so much trouble :rolleyes: :eek:

atb,
M

p.s. Was it the stone faces that you carved with the Buck knife ?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Stone heads - yes, but not the ones I have posted.
The stone I prefer to carve is Old Red Sandstone, which is quite soft and carves well (if you do not hit voids or inclusions!)

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
i'm going to break the mould here a bit- i have a buck 110 and i think it's an excellent knife, a bit pricey yes but the blade gets very sharp and stays there for a long enough time, the handle is chunky and comfortable to use with a simple enough shape to make many grips possible and comfortable.

the tipsw can be a bit fragile but they only break if you use them to pry or if you bash them with a big mallet. Plus the lock's pretty strong. Also, when you've used it a bit the brass gets a lovely patina and the coccobolo handles are lovely if the varnish is sanded off and they're oiled.

whatsmore, if everyone else is going on about opinels and moras ad nauseum it's nice to be able to sit round the campfire with something to differentiate you from all of the other people wearing OG ventile and carving a spoon with a mora

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Burn 'im.
witchhunt.gif
Burn 'im........;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
sure you can brun me- but only if you can make the fire using only a buck 110

Using the scales for kindling?

Cabelas did/do a speciall addition Buck 110 with an S30V blade, but due to gross ignorance, stupidity, laziness, or all three, refuse to ship knives to the UK, because "knives are illegal here". :rolleyes:

I suppose my impression of 110 is unfair since I am basing it on one that I handled in 1996 or there abouts. I had recently bought a ColdSteel large clip point Voyager and so compared the Buck to that. It did not compare favourably. Poorly ground, no point at the tip, dull, indifferent fit, heavy, stiff, and required two hands to manipulate. It was, I think, even more over priced than the CS at the time. I have heard that Buck have really sorted out their sharpening system so that isn't a problem anymore, but I am still no fan.

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
Got a Buck somewhere around that I've had for years. I used to like it (20 years ago) but reckon a Frosts Mora 740 is a better knife.
Oh, and the tip broke off my buck too, can't recall how now but I wasn't being that daft!
Seems an emotive issue this, and the poor chap was only messing with letters. Football Club United Kingdom :D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
:eek: That was like pocking a stick into a hornet's nest, sure to get stung.....:D

I had to look at Buck's knives....not my cup of tea, but if you must, it's up to you!
Much prefer Mike's and Wayland's knives any day of the week.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It's a Strømeng 9" Leuku. Carbon steel,sharpens nicely and has now replaced an axe in my general carry.

It's the type of blade carried by the Sami and it suits our Northern woodlands and scrub perfectly imo.

I have just aquired one of these great knives.
You can get them from Attleborough Accessories.
Mine has replaced my GB wildlife hatchet in my every day carry kit - but not my SFA!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Buck introduced their model 110 lock knife over 45 years ago and have apparently sold over 14 million of them. I once read somewhere that it is one of the most copied knives in the world.

A gamekeeper friend has one and uses it a lot. I am not a huge fan of them because of the half pound weight and the fact UK law equates a locking folder with a fixed blade knife. But you have to admit it is one of the world's classic knives.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Buck introduced their model 110 lock knife over 45 years ago and have apparently sold over 14 million of them. I once read somewhere that it is one of the most copied knives in the world.

A gamekeeper friend has one and uses it a lot. I am not a huge fan of them because of the half pound weight and the fact UK law equates a locking folder with a fixed blade knife. But you have to admit it is one of the world's classic knives.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
despite the points about buck knives bought up by others here, from what I've read (on other sites) the americans seem to love the buck 110/112s. I can only assume that the older versions where good (or seemed good at the time) and then that reputation has continued. While I would buy a 110/112 if the quality improved, I would have to agree that the rest of thier products don't interest me whatsoever.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Didn`t quite get that Doc, could you repeat it again :p

Rich

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
whatsmore, if everyone else is going on about opinels and moras ad nauseum it's nice to be able to sit round the campfire with something to differentiate you from all of the other people wearing OG ventile and carving a spoon with a mora

well said! leave dragonferret alone, just because he's a relative newb to the site you dont need to flame him.

i'm unpleasantly surprised at the response.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
'scuse me :eek: ?
We didn't flame him, we did disagree with his idea that a buck knife was in any way something we would all want to be associated with.......and then clearly said why.
Hopefully there's more to the site to interest him than that.

Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE