BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

karen

Well, im looking forward to this meetup and looking forward to meeting loads of new and interesting people. Ive been to Merthyr Mawr so know how beautiful it is there, which is why im hoping to bring along my niece. Am planing on teaching her a little stalking while we are there, we are gonna sneak up on all the grown ups. :lol:

If there are any other people going with children who can think of any other activities to do with the little uns please let me know and we can arrange something. I love the idea of sharing these experiences with my niece (whos nearly 3) as she'll grow up with the love, knowledge and respect of the outdoors.

Cheers

Karen

jakunen

Native
That's great Karen. The younger you start them, the more time they have to learn.
Although I don't have any kids to bring, having been a Sunday schools teacher, (yes even with my evil streak), how about somethign like a plant lore quest, see how many different trees or plants the kids can find/identify. The winner getting a bar of chocolate or something.
Rather than defoliate the place they could pick up a 'ticket' attached to the tree, that they write 'oak', 'ash', etc., on or give them a list of trees to find, number some trees (a piece of paper tied to a branch) and get them to match the numbers to the names on the sheet.
I'd be happy to help organise something like that. As Gary says in his signature
Knowledge is a gift the wise will freely share
I'll even stump for some home made chocolates/cakes or something.

K

karen

Rather than defoliate the place they could pick up a 'ticket' attached to the tree, that they write 'oak', 'ash', etc., on or give them a list of trees to find, number some trees (a piece of paper tied to a branch) and get them to match the numbers to the names on the sheet.

Thats a great idea for the older kids, i hadn't thought of that!!! For some of the younger ones i was thinking of bringing paper and crayons for leaf and bark rubbings. Thanks for the idea and i welcome all with ideas and help.

The younger you start them, the more time they have to learn

I cant agree with that statement more, and if we arn't willing to teach them, who will!!!

Cheers

Karen
[/quote]

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I see a possible problem. Around the 20th is results day. A and AS level results are around the 20-21-22 possibl later but i will have to check. Bugger.

Jake

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I will be demoing the beer drink workshop - closely followed by the falling down workshop!

Will PM u about demo's.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
YOUR WELCOME MATE! And you'll be back because you know I have loads of goodies on there that you want!

Seriously though, with the sharing knowledge thing in mind I am more than happy to demo something or other - say firelighting techniques and maybe a couple of fire lays.

Unless anyone has a request otherwise!

jakunen

Native
<mutters under breath> Yes you do have more kit I want...

Seriuosly though, aside from plantlore and helping organise stuff for the kids (did i really volunteer to do that? (Sarge, the nutter volunteered again!)), I'd be happy to demo camp cooking techniques (and I DON'T mean a la Hudson and Hall or Rciahrd Cawley...).

Can't really think of anything else I used to teach that I can do now :-? Too much beer under the bridge?

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
This sounds great, If only someone else in my family was interested in bushcraft aswell and then i could go :-( . Ah well i guess i'll have to wait a few years. :cry:

K

karen

Well, i have to say that this meetup sounds better and better every time i log on!!!! Can't wait!! Not only do the young uns get to learn stuff, so do I. Sorry you can't make it Young Bushman, maybe you can talk to some teachers or youth workers in your area, if you have any. There are always projects going on and they are always looking for new ideas. I will try and get some info for you and maybe you can help set up something in your area. Good luck.

Please PM me if you find anything out or for more info.
:-D

Cheers

Karen

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Ere, young bushman (and anyone else interested) there are 'Bushcraft' organisations in the UK...they just aren't called Bushcraft Clubs! Bushcraft is after all the craft of the 'bush' - not a UK term really. In the UK we have Woods- hence Woodcraft! Try out the Woodcraft Folk (a quick search should put you in contact)- they have regular meetings and camps (mostly family type camps I believe), alternatively check out the link on my posts- FSC, Forest School Camps are similar to the Woodcraft Folk but specialse in camps for Kids/teenagers instead of Families and meet less often (unless you go to all the Workcamps like me and spend one weekend in 4 camping! As a charity FSC is accessible to anybody if youre interested in FSC contact me and I can pass you on to membership staff....
Additionally I hear occasional rumours of very active woodcraft type activities going on in Scout Groups (you'll probably need to shop around to find a group who are into bushcraft skills).
You never know- there are some scout leaders who are members maybe theres one in your area!

Blue Sky, Jim. :-D

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
YB,

Jim has it right, there are scout groups that do a reasonable amount of Bushcraft. A mate of mine is an Explorer Scout leader and tries to get as much bushcraft into the Explorers Duke of Edinburgh work as he can; I try to do a simelar thing with my Scout troop.

Have you looked in the Leader chatter section recently? There is a thread sargey (?) put up about a weekend he was helping to run for Scouts, Explorers and leaders that seemed to be pretty good.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have never actually been to a Woodcraft Folk event, although I know many members, I have camped extensively with FSC :wink: and I must admit that my singing is by far the worst :nana: , all the same thie singing only accounts for an hour out of a normal 7am- 3am camping day and those songs come in handy when the kids have been walking for 5hrs with full packs in the rain and need a distraction from their blisters/ sunburn/ fatigue! :-D . As for hunting, FSC staff don't tend to approve of guns and hunting for it's own sake (especially veges and vegans) however few objections are made to catching and cooking trout, other fish and even spit roasting 50lb lambs! :eek:\:

Blue Sky,
Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE