BCUK Bushmoot 2005 feedback

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cgait

Jan 23, 2005
Cwmaman, South Wales
Hello all.This is my first time to post even though i have been a member for some time.The bcuk meetup was a fantastic gathering of people that i thoroughly enjoyed.There was always something going on to keep you active throughout the weekend.The people i met were great(although i cant remember half of you ;) ).I will try and catch up with you over the next few weeks.The actual site in merthyr mawr was kept immaculate so the experienced was heightened by the fact that it was not strewn with litter :) .All in All i thoroughly enjoyed it and hopefully will be attending more in the near future.

cgait

Jan 23, 2005
Cwmaman, South Wales
I'll try not to but everyone who went there seemed to enjoy it thoroughly. It was a time that you really should've had off work. You'll just have to make sure that the time is booked off next year :D . My gratitude to the people who went down and gave workshops. I found the ones i attended very useful. Also thanks for bringing down the books to have a read through. If anyone is thinking about going to a meet up and is not quite sure about it just read the feedback that others will hopefully post and it should convince you.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Arrived home at 23.00hrs What an amazing site my first of many meets ,first time in a hammock,used my bushcraft knife for the first time in anger.All were very welcoming ,thanks to Tommy for the stove,Maverick for his assistance with the erecting of the hammock, those knots Im gonna have to learn,Beachbum my children just loved , mind you it may have been the packet of Marshmallows he gave them,Nomade(Dominic) For our long chat about life and bushcraft.And many others including Richard,C.Claycombe,Stuart and Tony.Never got to any of the Demonstrations due to the kids but they seemed to have been enjoyed buy all those that did attend.All I can say is that it was a wonderful weekend and that it was like getting back to real camping.

cgait

Jan 23, 2005
Cwmaman, South Wales
It is a real shame that you missed the demonstrations they were done fantastically. They answered almost all of the questions that could've arose throughout the workshop.The people were extremely helpful around the camp. I'm just extremely happy that someone else has enjoyed the meetup as much if not more than I did.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Another absolutely cracking weekend, loved every minute of it, walking into a building afterwards was depressing though.

Many thanks to John & Val Lord for being patient enough with us while we managed to reduce yet another nodule of flint into lots of little pieces of rubble. The knapping really was a great day although if I learnt nothing else its to avoid using dry wash afterwards... it really is amazing how many little cuts you can pick up :eek:

Also thanks to Bardster to helping me to tiller my bow and for providing the arrows and string.

The hangi worked wonders, really going to have to give that another go, although I initially thought that the 5' hole that Stuart dug was a tad over kill, until I saw the size of fire he built in it!

And finally thanks to everyone for coming, was good to see some old faces and plenty of new ones

Cheers Tone for another great time, and roll on the next one!!

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
Unfortunately the flu kept me away for all but the Sunday (trust me, it was better for everyone), but it was a very wonderful gathering. Thanks to everyone who organised it, Stuart, Tony, Chris, everyone. Isn't Merthyr Mawr beautiful?

I especially appreciated the help with my new Trangia - thanks to Beachbum and Tommy Widenflycht. And the mysteries of sharpening the point of a knife were revealed to me by the General.

Good for the soul, definitely good for the soul.

M

marcja

Thanks to all that taught me something new in one of the many workshops I attended. John & Val you were very patient watching me reduce all your flint to a heap of rubble! Bardster thanks for the bow, though me other half isn't keen on me hanging it on the wall when I get it finished.:)

The hangi worked a treat and the meat that came out of it..mmmmmmmmmmm.......just melted in the mouth.:cool:

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone that set up the meet and organised and made it all possible Tony, Stuart, Chris etc etc etc etc etc.

I think it's fair to say a great time was had by all.

Marc

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Not a lot more to say other than FANTASTIC.

The weekend, the people, the events (even the weather) were wonderful.

Greatestexperience of the weekend was meeting everyone - too many to list.

Practical highlights were; success with a bowdrill - thanks Leon-1 your a star and John Lord's patience with me and the one-to-one session that made it all click.

Many thanks to Tommy for my stoves - your a braver man than I for taking on such a task.

For those of you who could not make it, I can only say, try harder. The site site is gloriuous and I only had time to look around the camping area. Next year I'll get to the river, the dunes and everywhere else.

Thanks to the organisers for a blinding weekend.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
it was great - lots to do, but plenty of space just to chill if that's what was needed.Just what I needed right when I needed it!

Thanks to the organisers and the folks who gave their time to put on the workshops, and thanks to Moduser for the lift to and from - you honestly have no idea how appreciated this was mate!

leon-1

Many thanks to all that were there, the meet was as everyone else has said great and that was down to all that attended and organised it :D

moduser said:
Practical highlights were; success with a bowdrill - thanks Leon-1

No problems mate, it was a pleasure and congratulations to all those that gave it a go, it's not the easiest of things and we all learnt something.

Thanks to Tony, Fenlander, John/Val, Stuart, The General, Bardster, Ranger Bob, Ed, Sargey, Buckshot, Roving Rich, Moduser, Chris Claycomb and all those that gave up thier time to instruct and help instructing :)

Thanks also to, Jamie, Lithril, Lithril's Bird, Womble (and more than just a few of the afore mentioned) for being good company and recognising me without a beard :D

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
Could I too, just add my thanks to all the Mods and lecturers who gave of their time to share their extensive knowledge, the collective "database" of these guys is astounding, nothing less.
I had a good time in excellent company made a few friends, took a few photos Moduser has kindly offered to post them.

Thanks guys and gals

regards

beach bum

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Beach Bum asked me to post these.

First up is Ed and I think that's Buckshot (sorry if it's not) preping the pigeons for the Hangi

http://img1.yoxio.com/img/188672.jpg

Next we have John Lord demonstrating knapping at the start of the course

http://img1.yoxio.com/img/188677.jpg

Sarge explaining that knife safty applies to everyone

http://img1.yoxio.com/img/188680.jpg

Fenlander proving that Glycerine and Potassium Permangernate crystals don't always ignite (now where's the PP powder?)

http://img1.yoxio.com/img/188681.jpg

Lithril shows off his better side whilst ensuring his bow is symetrical

http://img1.yoxio.com/img/188682.jpg

Bardster demonstrates bow string making

http://img1.yoxio.com/img/188683.jpg

Archery session in full swing

http://img1.yoxio.com/img/188684.jpg

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
To those hoping to see the forging demo - my apologies, something managed to knock me down for most of the weekend... Had hoped to get across on the Saturday or even the Sunday at least.

Oh, and squirrels ate my forge. Little swines have ripped a load of the insulation out.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
All I can say is, what a great weekend!

The flintknapping was brilliant, Stuart's trapping and snares lecture was excellent along with the kit he showed us from the San bushmen and the Penan.
The food from the hangi oven was delicious! And even a little bit of archery :D The site itself is just great, with spectacular sand dunes!.
Also, I couldn't have asked for better company to spend those few days with!

A big thankyou to Tony and all the mods and everyone involved in organising the weekend and giving up their time to take workshops!

p.s. Next time, lets think up a better way to erect the parachute! :)

cgait

Jan 23, 2005
Cwmaman, South Wales
I agree with everyone it was fantastic.Kirruth would you be able to share your knowledge of sharpening a knife point please.Does anyone have the picture of the group to post or pm me please.

All thats left to say is that another meet-up should be organised very soon :D .And that tony and all the others who organised the meet-up did a fantastic job.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
I returned last night and travelled part of the train journey with The General on the 17.00 to Paddington., after having seen four other mates off at Bridgend station, boarding their different trains...with some sadness as this was the very last parting with camp mates after having parted with everyone else in Merthyr Mawr...

Thanks again Tony for this lift to the station! And thanks also to Chris for checking how my packing was progressing and giving me a hand with taking various bags :) to the classroom!

I feel today as if I had been away for a long time and returning to a very strange world indeed! :confused:

And with memories of many wonderful moments and situations with wonderful people :) !

A special thanks to all the lecturers and instructors for their vast knowledge and experience, their patience, great friendliness and generosity with their time! In an informal effortless atmosphere mixed with effort, and a lot of good will and love for bushcraft skills alround! Fond fond memory of John and Val Lord!

Thank you everyone who shared with me a moment or two during these three days, be it learning a skill or just chatting, exchanging and enjoying the moment and the place! Like staring at the fire under the parachute...I will remember each encounter and each face but...

...will not attempt a list of names for fear of not being able to put a name to one or two fondly remembered faces ....so this is a big thank you to ALL encountered for so much good company and so much learning!

Thanks Clayton Baldwin for mentioning in your post our chat! And Thanks to your two lovely kids who patiently let me "borrow" their Dad for a few moments of serious grown-up reflexions!

I have also to name those without whom I would never have got to Merthyr Mawr in the first place: Marcja, Just in Time and Tony replied to my call for a lift to camp on arrival at Bridgend station, and Marcja picked me up there in the middle of a very busy Friday for him! Thanks mates!

There was during these three days in a wonderful spot a general gentleness, mutual understanding, great generosity, a sense of natural togetherness that will stay with me!

cgait

Jan 23, 2005
Cwmaman, South Wales
Very nicely said nomade.I for one feel the exact same way as it was a new sensation as this was my first of hopefully many many meets.Considering this is my first post I think a good topic was brought up as the ammount of relpies makes me happy and glad to have people who pay attention to what is said even by beginners in this great subject. :D :D :D :D :D

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Thanks for your kind words, Cgait! And Thanks for the pictures, Beach Bum and to Moduser for transmitting! The pix bring you right back at the meetup as if you were still there...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE