BCUK Artic Skills Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Some of you are already aware of the 2012 BCUK Artic Skills course running this year. If you're not then this thread has the details: 2012 bcuk Arctic Expedition

There is a minimum of 15 and we currently have 7. The go/no-go decision is this Friday.

In short, we need to find another eight people if the course is to go ahead.

When I first saw the course I thought "I'd love to attend but...". For me the "but" was the obvious big two: Time and Money. With a bit of thought I was able to work around them but I then found myself throwing up more obstacles: I don't have the kit, I don't know the language, It's going to be a bit chilly. Before I'd even started I was giving myself reasons not to sign-up. With a bit of analysis I realised that these weren't really obstacles at all, each one could be mitigated one way or another. Looking deeper, I realised that these excuses where the symptom of a much darker, more insideous obstacle: that obstacle was Fear. Actually Fear's a bit of a strong word, call it Apprehension, Uncertainty, Doubt.

It was these emotions that stood in the way of my first solo camp, it was these emotions that stood in the way of learning to swim or going for a new job or going for that first date. I have since faced these emotions and come out a better person for it, I not going to let them stand in the way of an experience like this.

I don't need an answer to this but I'm wondering how many of us are doing a similar thing? That is, putting up barriers rather than focussing one why we want to attend this course.

For me the reasons to attend are clear:

Reputable, experienced instructors - English speaking too.
A chance to learn a number of skills which would be difficult to attain in the UK.
A chance to see one of Europe's most beautiful countries at arguably one of the best times of year. Maybe even catch the Aurora in full swing.

The required kit list is actually quite modest; many of us will have most of it already and some of the more expensive items are available to hire from the organisers. Heated tents are provided so you don't need to lug loads of heavy gear and even if you don't know anyone on the list of attendees, you will by the end of the week. All good reasons by my reckoning.

If you genuinely can't make it then fair enough, there is no need to justify yourself here. However if you want to go, have the resources and time available can I ask you to do just one thing? Ask yourself why your name is not on the list :)

I'm conscious this sounds like a bit of hard sell but my motive should be quite clear; there are seven of us who would really like to go but may not due to a shortfall in numbers. It would be a shame if there were people out there who wanted to go but just needed a gentle push to make the decision.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE