BCB crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
[video=youtube;he8E-Ud2ojQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8E-Ud2ojQ[/video]

One of the best cookers for heating up your food or sterilising water on is an alcohol stove. The alcohol stove is good as the fuel is more compact than a gas cooker's gas canister. the alcohol stove is also easy to maintain meaning that you wont get any malfunctions like you can get in a gas stove. This is why the alcohol stove is the best way to get hot food down your gullet in a remote location reliably.(nothing is worse than cold food when it is pelting down with rain and you've been hiking all day.

the BCB is a good alcohol stove that is simple to use the only problem may be the weight V a gas cooker it weighs around 1.5kg:morpheus:

Last edited:

garethw

Settler
Well done on your review...

The straps on the back of the pouch are Molle loops. They match up with the loop system on say, webbing vests, back packs etc... You would weave the straps through the corresponding loop on the pack, back through the next loop on the pouch and so on down the pouch to get a lattice type weave. You then do up the popper at the bottom and its is not coming off.
Check out this video.. shown at about 3 mins :

[video=youtube_share;0OjIqTwgjdk]http://youtu.be/0OjIqTwgjdk[/video]

Also you can get a stainless lid from Ray Mears online shop by Heavy Covers that is way better than the plastic rubbish it comes with...

Cheers
Gareth

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Nice review. Check out the "Nivea" stoves on this site which work really well in the Crusader (particularly if you use carbon felt in them), and you can also use remote feed alcohol stoves in there as well. Personally I don't get on well with the Greenheat sachets or the hexi blocks, but that's just me. I have made alky stoves from coke can that will fit in the Crusader system, but they have to be really shallow and aren't really effective.

thephilbert

Apr 20, 2012
Scotland
Also you can get a stainless lid from Ray Mears online shop by Heavy Covers that is way better than the plastic rubbish it comes with...

you can also get them from launditch1 on this forum cheaper if you pm him and ask nicely!
he made me 2 after my plastic one melted and i have to say they are top quality.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
you can also get them from launditch1 on this forum cheaper if you pm him and ask nicely!
he made me 2 after my plastic one melted and i have to say they are top quality.

Agreed, Launditch1's lids are cracking pieces of gear and are slimmer and more carry friendly than the one offered on RM's site.

P1000620.jpg

P1000621.jpg

I found on my Alcohol pop can stove the bottom of the cup was to close to the burner and restricted the heat output I made a replacement wire to raise the height (coat hanger)

but the metal cooker suck so much heat away from the burner it doesn't really fire up properly and pouring the meths in the tray was just as efficient in boil times.

the elastic in the pouch is probably/possibly to hold the bottle and cup tight and help prevent it rattling we used to sew similar on the out side of old 58 webbing to keep every thing tight and quiet
making noise is not so much a life threatening thing in bushcraft ;) or likely to get you a few dozen push ups from the Sgt if you fail the jump up n down quietly test before going into the field

ATB

Duncan

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK

Yep I have had one of Launditch1 lids for my crusader for about a year and a half now very good peace of kit.
Nice review

Reg Rum

Well done on your review...

The straps on the back of the pouch are Molle loops. They match up with the loop system on say, webbing vests, back packs etc... You would weave the straps through the corresponding loop on the pack, back through the next loop on the pouch and so on down the pouch to get a lattice type weave. You then do up the popper at the bottom and its is not coming off.

Gareth

thanks for explaining the straps

Davedon

Apr 24, 2012
Selkirk
Nice review.
I tested my crusader setup at the weekend and it managed to heat my rat pack and make a nice cup of tea on one green heat. I think the metal lid is the way to go the plastic one seen a bit flimsy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE