BCB Commando Hacksaw

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
@Mods; If there has already been a review of this piece of kit, then please move this review.

Today I received a BCB Commando hacksaw, which I bought from one of the other members here.

The reason I bought it, was that a saw always comes in handy and the way it was stored, when not in use, was brilliant!
Here's what it looks like stored:
01zaagbuis.jpg

It's 32cm long and weighs 200gr.

When you open up the tube. this is what comes out:
01zaagonderdelen.jpg

2 short, thicker pieces of tube to make op the vertical parts (handles), a thinner piece of tube for the crossmember, a piece of rod with screwthread to fasten and tighten the saw, 2 small metal rings, 2 blades (wood and metal) and a piece of wiresaw (same as the ones in the BCB-tin, for instance.

When put together (takes 2 minutes) it looks like this:
01zaaginelkaar.jpg

I also tried the wiresaw, but found it to short.
When tightening the screws, the handles are pulled inward causing the frame to warp.
01zaaginelkaar2.jpg

I took a 4cm thick piece of cherrywood, which has been lying there for some time, so not really fresh.
First I tried the wood sawblade. It went well, untill the blade disappeared in the branch; a cut about 1 cm deep. It got stuck and broke immediately!

Then I tried the wiresaw.
It only took 2 strokes for that to fail too!
One of the fasteners had broken......
01ploing1.jpg

The saw for metal I didn't even try.
This was too bad, really, as I really like the idea behind this saw! I think BCB should have paid a little more attention to the quality of the blades and wiresaw.
I will be off to the DIY-store to find some better quality blades and hope that they will fit. If not the rings will come in handy in order to make them fit.
How to replace the wiresaw I don't know yet. Maybe I'll take the one from their tin and modify that.

All in all a good idea made in Chinese quality....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE