BB hacked again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I think the use of the word as an acronym was probably created afterwards.

Apparently the word is from the German word glitschen, which means 'to slip.'

Seeing as the word is normally used to describe IT systems which are normally designed by total geeks...it doesnt surprise me that an acronym was therefore given to it.

;) :D

P.S Stop browsing and do some work! :p :eek:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
andyn said:
I think the use of the word as an acronym was probably created afterwards.

Apparently the word is from the German word glitschen, which means 'to slip.'

Seeing as the word is normally used to describe IT systems which are normally designed by total geeks...it doesnt surprise me that an acronym was therefore given to it.

Hmm. Sounds possible. However, fubar, snafu and the likes are derived from military terms; the adoption of glitch probably predates IT.

P.S Stop browsing and do some work! :p :eek:

I *am* working - I'm waiting for a build to complete :D

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
ESpy said:
Glitch, not hack AFAICT.

Speaking of which - does anyone know if glitch really was originally an acronym for Goes Loopy Initially Then Completely Haywire?

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=glitch

This definition
is closer to the one I remember from my "Boy's Book of Space" (or similar title, published by Purnell, I think, in about 1976) that said that a glitch was an unexpected voltage spike.

K.

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
tomtom,

You beat me to it, was gonna PM you about my other thread...soz :(

Put it there originally as thought more BBers would see it etc...and I hadnt realised this section was here - DOH!

Rgds

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
No worries MrY… this one is relevant to today’s downtime so it just saves confusion if everyone comes here.

Lets just hope BB is back soon :)

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Yep,
Hope it wasn't my post about the Pubfits groupbuy that killed it, working when I clicked reply dead when I clicked send!!!!!

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
it was probally hosed.

This is an old unix computer slang for `broke but I can fix it`.. Apparently came from and old Cray site that had a server that kept crashing... They found out one of the cooling hoses was coming loose and spraying coolant over the server every now and again, causing issues.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE