Bayonet

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I've just been given this piece of kit and know nothing about it or its value any help would be great

image-6.jpg

It's been sat in a draw for the last twenty years and picked up a little surface rust when I get it in my hand to have a closer look I may have more info to post,but until then your help would be great.

Last edited:

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Well just done a quick bit or research it's a west German made us7 marine corps bayonet from 1964 made I think to fit the m16 .
May be a interesting piece of history for a military collector at nearly 50 years old and still going strong.
Any extra info anybody could help with or maybe correct me if my findings are incorrect would be awesome .

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep. Mostly anyway. It's a US M7 (not the US7) bayonet. it fit the M16, the M1 carbine, and the M4 (a variant of the m16) It came out around the Vietnam era and was still in general issue in ALL services at least into the early 1990s, although it was largely replaced by the M9 bayonet by then. As far as I know there's not much collector value (YET!!!) since there are literally thousands of them available at surplus.

Last edited:

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Yep. Mostly anyway. It's a US M7 (not the US7) bayonet. it fit the M16, the M1 carbine, and the M4 (a variant of the m16) It came out around the Vietnam era and was still in general issue in ALL services at least into the early 1990s, although it was largely replaced by the M9 bayonet by then. As far as I know there's not much collector value (YET!!!) since there are literally thousands of them available at surplus.
Thanks bud for the reply .any idea on a trade value if I put her in the swap shop.as your in the states my friend I'm sure there would be thousands of these bayonets but surly not here in the uk.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There aren't many M16s to mount a bayonet on in the UK either - which makes them somewhat redundant sadly

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks bud for the reply .any idea on a trade value if I put her in the swap shop.as your in the states my friend I'm sure there would be thousands of these bayonets but surly not here in the uk.

Hard to say really. It's worth whatever somebody's willing to part with. As you say, there are likely fewer of them in the UK but as BR inferred, there's also likely a smaller interest in them; although I suspect the mount may or may not be identical to UK bayonets.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its not identical to the mount on an Enfield santaman - and that's the last MBR civilians can own. There are a few AR straight pull variants around - but they are horrible to shoot

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would bother with a straight pull AR? A very expensive nod to pure cosmetics.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Me either, if you have to manually cycle a .223, there are rifles designed to manually cycle .223!

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Oh yes!

Steyr Scout by British Red, on Flickr

(sorry for the hijack trev - nice bayonet - just use it and enjoy it!)
No worries on the high jack !!!I'm pleased the bayonet has been identified ,I'm sad it's not rare but I'll engrave it now ,clean her up and move it on maybe even get somebody to grind it shorter to make a nice little carver or something ,I'll decide when I actually receive it in my hand and look at it closely.thanks all for the help .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't worry about "rare" chap. Enjoy it. A fantastic member here gave me a couple of bayonets to fit one of my rifles

Enfield No 4 Mk II and No 9 Mk 1 bayonet by British Red, on Flickr

Not hugely rare (made by the million) but I recently tracked down the frog to go with the (period correct) No. 9 bayonet (shown without a frog above)

Enfield No 4 Mk 2 with No 9 Mk 1 bayonet by British Red, on Flickr

Is it rare? Not exactly - but hard to find.I have two more item to find to have every period correct item for that rifle - from the oiler to every available foresight element. Is it worth much money? No, but that's not the motivation!

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Don't worry about "rare" chap. Enjoy it. A fantastic member here gave me a couple of bayonets to fit one of my rifles

Enfield No 4 Mk II and No 9 Mk 1 bayonet by British Red, on Flickr

Not hugely rare (made by the million) but I recently tracked down the frog to go with the (period correct) No. 9 bayonet (shown without a frog above)

Enfield No 4 Mk 2 with No 9 Mk 1 bayonet by British Red, on Flickr

Is it rare? Not exactly - but hard to find.I have two more item to find to have every period correct item for that rifle - from the oiler to every available foresight element. Is it worth much money? No, but that's not the motivation!
Wow now that is nice to see !!!!what a gorgeous rifle .

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
Ah bayonets.... This one is for a Steyr AUG. Not a particularly brilliant bayonet tbh. Prone to snap when doing the business (in training at least).

002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry mate.

They are expensive.....£150 for a mint condition version is a lot.......you do not need one..... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE