Bayonet

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Good looking Khukri Trev, well worth cleaning up and making a sheath for it, wonderful tools.

Ahh that's what it is.well I have the original wood and leather sheath and the two small knives to go with it.shame Im not too keen on these style of knives or the bayonet.
Thanks guys for the info

Here's a pic of the full set I've been given
null-38.jpg

The smallest of the two little knives has no edge ground to it at all the others are sharp Ish.
Also the small knives have wood handles whereas the big kukuri has brass or copper I think .

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There's a reason why one of the smaller knives has no edge and the other does; The one with an edge was/is generally used for smaller (finer) cutting tasks. The one with no edge is used as a sharpening steel for the larger main knife and/or as a striker with stone for producing sparks.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
There's a reason why one of the smaller knives has no edge and the other does; The one with an edge was/is generally used for smaller (finer) cutting tasks. The one with no edge is used as a sharpening steel for the larger main knife and/or as a striker with stone for producing sparks.

Wow your the man with some knowledge on knives .
Is this an original the blade is as hard as hell a file won't touch it the Handel is lovely with all the detail on it.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Could this kukuri be a ceremonial version ? Due to the very detailed Handel and not being wood but metal.
Just a thought which was passed on by another member on here.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. I bought my first, and so far my only khukuri about two years ago. I did quite a bit of googling before I bought. One thing led to another; researching the knives led to researching the Gurkhas, researching the Gurkhas led to researching Nepal. LOL.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
LOL. I bought my first, and so far my only khukuri about two years ago. I did quite a bit of googling before I bought. One thing led to another; researching the knives led to researching the Gurkhas, researching the Gurkhas led to researching Nepal. LOL.
Could you do some digging on this one for me please bud I would have no clue where to start, please and thank you.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As for the metal of the blade, yes it's probably an original. The Kamis (craftsmen) that make these knives get their metal from whatever source is available. They've had great success with old truck springs and I believe the current source is the metal from dismantled, salvaged cargo ships.

Obviously the skill of the individual Kamis varies widely (although usually very good) as does the preference of the customer.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
As for the metal of the blade, yes it's probably an original. The Kamis (craftsmen) that make these knives get their metal from whatever source is available. They've had great success with old truck springs and I believe the current source is the metal from dismantled, salvaged cargo ships.

Obviously the skill of the individual Kamis varies widely (although usually very good) as does the preference of the customer.
The spine is around 6mm thick then is concave down to the edge
And you can see the Handel detail from the pics any help with the identification of this particular kukuri would be awesome .

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The spine is around 6mm thick then is concave down to the edge
And you can see the Handel detail from the pics any help with the identification of this particular kukuri would be awesome .

Identifying an individual Khukuri is all but impossible. The Kamis are individual craftsmen who make the knives one at a time. Either for individual customers or for a wholesale house. Is there any engraving on the blade? Sometimes retiring military members commission one made with their name, dates of service, particular military symbol of their service, etc. (or have such a knife presented to them by their units)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Identifying an individual Khukuri is all but impossible. The Kamis are individual craftsmen who make the knives one at a time. Either for individual customers or for a wholesale house. Is there any engraving on the blade? Sometimes retiring military members commission one made with their name, dates of service, particular military symbol of their service, etc. (or have such a knife presented to them by their units)
There's nothing graved on the blade mate but its a nice thing anyway.
It's up for swap now along side the bayonet

demoncase

May 23, 2013
Wolverhampton
Bit late to the party here, but a good number of M7 bayonets were re-handled in country during the Vietnam.
The handles were normally a one piece turned piece of local hardwood to make it more like a fighting knife, if you were a 'cheap charlie' and couldn't spring for a FS dagger or Gerber Mk2 from the PX. Suprisingly common with the Advisors to the ARVN- to the point of being a signature item.

Unlike the later M9 bayonet and most other period bayonets, its actually a full tang and carbon steel. I've got a BOC stamped mint one with the swedge factory sharpened. Still with the parkerised blade. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE