Baudrier porte-sabre et baïonnette buffle

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Fascinating reading! Thanks for sharing. A privilege indeed to have such an historic sabre in your hands, as I always say when I see old tools and such... if they could only talk and tell of the things they've seen .

You've got sharp eyes Hamish. I had to flip back and forth between the first pix and the modded one and only after reading your posting did I spot the new stitch lines.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Fascinating reading! Thanks for sharing. A privilege indeed to have such an historic sabre in your hands, as I always say when I see old tools and such... if they could only talk and tell of the things they've seen .

I know France is a big place, but if you are likely to be at the Musée de l’Armée and see an original of one of these, please send me some detailed pictures. One of the biggest problems with making this has been trying to find what a genuine original looks like, particularly the details of the scabbard mounts and buckles. :):):)

Biker:1303166 said:
You've got sharp eyes Hamish. I had to flip back and forth between the first pix and the modded one and only after reading your posting did I spot the new stitch lines.

Ah, well, that’s probably the leatherworker in him. I find that I get to know every tiny part of each piece of leather that I work on, and minuscule blemishes stand out like a sore thumb, but nobody else ever sees them.

Geoff :)

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I know France is a big place, but if you are likely to be at the Musée de l’Armée and see an original of one of these, please send me some detailed pictures. One of the biggest problems with making this has been trying to find what a genuine original looks like, particularly the details of the scabbard mounts and buckles. :):):)

Will do Geoff, I happen to LOVE museums and when I go to them I often have my camera with me, so if I spot one I will get you pix. However, since I'm in Normandy it seems this region either focusses on William the Conqueror or D-day. Anything besides those events in history are unimportant.... I'm being facetious of course. Maybe Caen has a Napoleonic section in their museum. That's the closest big city to me.

I'm sure you did your online research already but this website showed up via a quick Google image search, seems to have just the thing you've made. I'm guessing at the €180 asking price it's original too.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm sure you did your online research already but this website showed up via a quick Google image search, seems to have just the thing you've made.

Oh, yes. And many more. Including auction sites. Of course, if you find them here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Old-Leather-Works/182451398567540, those are me.

I'm guessing at the €180 asking price it's original too.

No, that is a reproduction. The higher price is because it is an Imperial Guards belt, with hand stitching all along the edge of the belt.

Last edited:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Here are the last three baudriers that I've managed to cut from the piece of hide, in a little montage with the sabre and bayonet. I'll be rather sad to see the end of this project, but hope to be able to do some more work in this area in the future.

IMG_3749-Copy_zps337b79c6.jpg

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
And with the remaining bit of leather from this hide, I've managed to get a Bretelle de fusil buffle, or musket strap, and the customer brought his (reproduction) French musket for a fitting. It's always satisfying to see your work in context.

IMG_4471_zps4007961b.jpg

Here you can see the detail of the button fixing, with the firing mechanism.

IMG_4472_zpse981c69c.jpg

And finally the strap buckle.

IMG_4473_zpsdf84755c.jpg

This is one big, heavy weapon and, with the bayonet added, it does appear to make a good substitute for a pike. A far cry from the SA80 with its bayonet. It makes it understandable how an infantry square with fixed bayonets could make an effective defence against cavalry.

Thanks for looking

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beautiful work throughout. I do love a nice "front stuffer" and the accoutrements you have made set it and the rest of the sharps off to perfection.

Absolutely brilliant work

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE